Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've enjoyed loading for my Blackout. I started by forming cases from .223, and I already had .30 cal bullets on hand from loading for other rifles. I've gradually collected more cases, and shot some factory Remington 120's. I'm just wondering if my experience is similar to others.

I had Win. 296 on hand from loading for my .357 and .44 mags. I've got some 4227, but haven't tried it yet.
I've gotten really good accuracy with several 125 or 130 gr. bullets and about 17.5 gr of 296. A couple sources show 18.5 as max, but when I get to a good accuracy point between starting and max, I usually quit. Anyone tried both 296/H110 and 4227 and found they prefer one or the other?

So far, at 100 yds., the Speer 125 TNT shoots about 1.5", the Hornady 130 SP, Speer 130 HP are around an inch, the Nosler 125 BT flirts with 3/4". A recent surprise is the Nosler Accubond 125, which I just started loading, and will almost 1-hole at 50, haven't shot it at 100 yet. Anybody else shoot those bullets?

I've taken 1 deer with the Nosler 125 BT, and performance seemed fine, but it was a pass-through so I couldn't recover the bullet. If I don't find something better, I'll hunt with the accubond this year.

The Barnes 110 looks promising as a hunting load - anybody shot it yet? It would seem to mimic 125's as far as BC, but you'd get more velocity and expansion.

The Hornaday ELD's are supposed to be very accurate, but probably not worth the expense in a short and medium-range cartridge like the BO.

I've loaded some pulled military 173 gr bullets, just for fun and to check function. They print a couple inches low, and will shoot 1.5- 2" at 50. Haven't shot anything heavier, or sub-sonics. To tell the truth, I don't have a use for a heavy subsonic .30 cal. bullet. If I had a suppressor, I'd probably feel differently, but I doubt I'd hunt with it, because it would probably be a head or neck shot- only thing.

The 165 Nosler BT is my "go-to" in .308Win., but I've not tried it in the Blackout. I seriously doubt if it would expand at all at the velocities you can drive it in the Blackout. Anyone tried it?

Some guys have said they shoot 150's for hunting. I know the Nosler 150 BT does well at .308 velocities, I'm not sure how much if any it would expand at BO velocities. Anyone shooting it regularly?

Anyway, I'd like to hear what other guys are finding as they load for the Blackout.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, I haven't been as picky about sorting cases by brand, and it doesn't seem to matter as much with this cartridge as with others. With this gun, which I only need to be "hunting-accurate" out to about 125 yds., it probably isn't as important. I may experiment with a couple batches of sorted/not sorted and see if it makes any real difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moderators: should I have started this over in "Rifles and Rifle cartridges"?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I have great success using the 125gr Sierra Game Kings on deer with 18.2gr of W2961. Guy at work uses the Speer 125gr TNT's with W296 at 17.5 gr and swears its bang flop when they are hit in the boiler room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shoot the Barnes 110 gr. I Use 20 gr. H110/296 Its a good projectile for this platform. You can get enough powder in the small case to make these fly, but I haven't chrono'ed them yet though. Good deer and pig slayer.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,876 Posts
Nope - this is the proper forum for this discussion and will stay here.

Reactions: GeronPG

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have not attempted to form 300 Blackout brass from 223 brass. However, I have been reloading for the cartridge. I have found the two most accurate bullets I have tried so far from my Ruger American Ranch rifle are the 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Hornady 110 grain GMX . Both will shoot 1 hole groups at 100 yards from that crazy accurate little rifle. My son has one exactly like mine and his shoots identical groups. He has hunted more with the Blackout. It is not is main hunting rifle. Just the one he keeps on his 4-Wheeler and is always at hand. As a result he has killed more game with it than his main hunting gun.

The hunting load is the 110 grain GMX over a maximum load of H-110/WW296 and magnum primers. Velocity is 2,395 fps. My son has killed several deer and hogs of various sizes. Every one has been a DRT kill and every bullet has exited the animal. No long range shots, maximum of about 100 yards. Much of the success has undoubtedly been due to patients of the hunter and excellent shot placement. But, that the GMX bullets from the Blackout have been very effective cannot be denied.

You did not address factory loads. If you want an off the shelf load the Hornady American Gunner 125 grain HP is an accurate round. I mention it because it shoots to the same point of aim as our 110 grain GMX hunting load. I am not one for more than one load for everything I do with a particular rifle. For this little Ruger I have made an exception. Nothing wrong with having a dedicated varmint round for the off season.

Reactions: GeronPG

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 Calicoat, thanks for the update and to hear of your son's hunting experiences. It's sort of amazing to me how well the BO kills, considering its velocity numbers. Goes to show placement with a decent bullet trumps speed every time. And I'm glad you mentioned the magnum primers; I've shot both, and the magnums seem to give a little better accuracy in my gun. I know they're usually recommended in revolver loads using W296, so it makes sense. Haven't shot much factory; I did pick up some Remington 120's when I saw them at a decent price, and they shot ok. I really prefer to hunt with my handloads, but if I see a box of the Hornady, I may try them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts