Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a reloader, but I am interested to know: are there any "hot" factory loads available for the .44-40? How hot can it be reloaded? Hot enough for whitetail, elk, etc.? What is the effective range? I love to shoot old west cartridges and I would love to hunt with them next fall/winter if such is reasonable.

Thanks,
TIMBERWOLF

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Timberwolf,

Check out the .44 W.C.F. club. There is some information posted there that should answer your question.  
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/the44wcfclub
check message #12

John

(Edited by John Kort at 5:51 pm on Jan. 26, 2002)

·
Banned
41 Posts
Timberwolf,
I've been loading the 44WCF for several years. My present load is with 2400 powder,200gr Rem jsp in a Win M94 20"bbl,It chronographs @ 2250fps and is consistent 1.5"groups @ 50yd.
I got the load from Parker O.Ackleys book on reloading,the only case loss has been from my failure to center the case in the die.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your post Jack.
You mention that you are shooting a Winchester rifle in .44-40. I understand that Winchester produced the 44-40 in Trails End for a year or so, then dropped it. Do you know of any place where the Trails End can still be bought? I want one badly. Not a vintage '92, but a recent model...preferably the Trails End.

Thanks,
TIMBERWOLF

·
Banned
41 Posts
Timberwolf,
I had my gunsmith convert a 30-30 Model 94 to 44-40 about 15 years ago, using a Win 44-40 bbl from GPC Corp. Also I had it case colored. As far as the Trails End model , you might find some one in SASS that knows where one can be obtained.
Good luck in finding one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts