Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading shotshells. I reload metallic all the time and am finding there is a big difference. I understand you do not want to deviate from printed load data for a specific hull, etc.

Has anyone reloaded Winchester Universal? Any load data out there?

Thanks

Eric Horton

·
Banned
72 Posts
reloading winchester universal12ga.

eric im not sure i understand what you are asking. but lets see if we can help you. i think you may be asking if you can load winchester hulls with universal powder? well this ok you can . what you need to do is get a lyman loading manual for shotguns. you are right you need to stay real close to the given loads shotguns are not as forgiving as matelic. any way lyman is the best in my humbel opion but there are others and ill admit that i do use others .:)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
Hodgdon doesn't show the "winchester universal" as a type of hull on their load data site, I'm guessing these are cheap promotional loads. Look down into one of them and see if it has a separate base wad, as opposed to one-piece construction. Or section one - it should be obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winchester is putting out an inexpensive box of shells called "Universal" it is a standard 12ga with 23/4 length, 1 1/8 oz number 7.5 shot. Velocity is 1200fps.

From reading the Lyman, it has me a little worried that I should not pick load data that is "close", but exact. Pressures change significantly and I don't want to risk gun damage or me damage :)

Gat64 mentioned to look down the hull and see about the base wad. Are there general things I can look for to determine hull type and then find appropriate load data?

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
The Universal hulls are constructed of the same basic design as the other compression formed hulls but the walls seem much thinner and I have not had good luck with them. I've read many other accounts of problems reloading them but some claim to do it OK. The data should be the same as for AA hulls if you want to try it. Personally, they go into the trash when I get them.

·
Banned
72 Posts

the procuders for loading shot shells is very nerrow . i dont agree with aa shell not relodeable they are very realoadable. i have some that are on there 40 load i shoot a lot. red or grays makes no difference. also the rem. sts are good too and load about the the same. you will eventually find that there is a very narrow loading venue in shot shells but at the same time it is very broud. pay attention to the recipe and you will be ok you will pick it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts