Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all what is the real difference between the remington 11-87 and the 8700. I'm looking for an entry level auto. Have heard good things about them, I like my 870.
Thanks Nathan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,228 Posts
1187s are all 3 inch chambers, but they are supposed to cycle 2 3/4" shells OK due to the gas system being somewhat self-adjusting.

1100s come either in the 2 3/4 version, or the 3 inch version.

Field-stripping is the same. All 1187s (that I am aware of) now some with the Rem-chokes standard. There is probably even some interchangability between the barrels, although it's been a while since I had both side by side to compare. At the time I did not notice any major differences, dimensionally.

I think that Remington has kept both in production and made the 1100 the more 'high-end' gun.

·
36,228 Posts
Whoops, mis-read your post (maybe). I assume you mean 1100 not 870 when you typed 8700?

As you know the 870 is a pump and the 1100 and 1187 are gas-operated semi-automatics.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Natanupnorth,
You're giving up nothing to an 11-87, or 1100, with your 870. If you can use a pump to good effect, I shot the same scores in skeet with my 870 as my Citori, you have no problems. Well, I guess there are some things you give up, like money in your pocket, load flexibility, ultimate reliability, and utter simplicity of design and maintenance. But I don't exactly consider that a good thing. There are some extreme instances where a auto might give you an advantage in some shooting games, but the advantage for hunting is far outweighed by the numerous reasons that an auto can become a single shot.

One thing that an auto does for competitive shooters who are recoil sensitive, or smaller framed shooters, is eat some of the recoil. There are some really nice autos for hunting, but I wouldn't consider either of the Remingtons to be in that class. Montefeltro is the word there.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey All,
Thanks Mikeg, Yes I was refering to a1100, sorry get the numbers wrong.
Hey Hick,
Yeah I reallly do like my 870 I ve had 2. Ive never had a problem with it in my life. I also really liked a benelli nova I had, But it was just a litlle too heavy to haul all day long. With hunting season approaching I have been in the pro shops alot and cant help but to look aroound to something I've never had before.An auto, side by side and over under are all on the list for the future.My first shotgun was a mossberg 20 gauge with fixed choke in a bolt action.The gun is awesome but it was given to me by my grandpa, so I dont shoot it too much. I want to keep it in good shape.
Thanks all,
good luck this season,
Nathan

·
36,228 Posts
870 goes with me when I have to walk a lot.

1100 goes with me when I have to shoot a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts