Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Dad is thinking about his last rifle or that is what he is calling it. He has never had a Remington 700. He wants to go 30-06 he is thinking a 700 of one flavor or another.

Question for you all hoping you can help:

How good or bad are the current manufacture 700s from an accuracy standpoint?

Looking at the following

700 CDL
700 CDL SF
700 AWR

Any of those better than the others?

Should we just stay away from Remington?

I might be able to talk him into a M70 sporter or super grade, he doesn't want a featherweight.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
478 Posts
All your perspective 700 choices would be good ones and in 30-06 makes them even better. All my Remington guns new and old have been accurate and well built. As with any rifle, car, house, clothes or anything you will want to look them over before signing on the dotted line. I have a couple new CDLs that are great shooters.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Remington is in bankruptcy & the holding company that did own them had let there quality control tank, BADLY. They never did make very good barrels & their triggers have caused several lawsuits that have encumbered them. Personally I would avoid Remington products. A Tikka would be a far superior choice & would give you a better bang for the buck. Compare them side by side & it will be obvious. Other opinions may differ.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,186 Posts
Yeah, nothing good ever came from a "holding" company, in terms of products and QC.
The name of their game is to bleed all value out of it that you can, then off-load it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a couple of newer 700's and a few older ones. I have seen or had no issues with the newer Remingtons. I still love the looks of the BDL.

·
Registered
526 Posts
So my Dad is thinking about his last rifle or that is what he is calling it. He has never had a Remington 700. He wants to go 30-06 he is thinking a 700 of one flavor or another.

Looking at the following

700 CDL
700 CDL SF
700 AWR

I might be able to talk him into a M70 sporter or super grade, he doesn't want a featherweight.

Thanks,
Chris
An older 700 would be good. Take him shopping (gun show) and find something that he likes the fit/finish of that fits him...then find one in his favorite caliber...:)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Remington is in bankruptcy & the holding company that did own them had let there quality control tank, BADLY. They never did make very good barrels & their triggers have caused several lawsuits that have encumbered them. Personally I would avoid Remington products. A Tikka would be a far superior choice & would give you a better bang for the buck. Compare them side by side & it will be obvious. Other opinions may differ.
As far as new ones, if I were buying one for my Dad, I would go with the Rem 700 Mountain SS. You get a nice stainless finish, Bell & Carlson stock, and it only weighs 6.2 lbs. I know to my dad (before he died in 2012), carry weight was a big thing for him. He had a bad artery in his left leg, so walking long distances made his leg go numb and he would have to stop. Add weight, and the distance was cut in half.

Now, I know that story I just told, was probably unnecessary. But I'm giving you an example of the things I'd look at when making that choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have had Remington 700s for in excess of 20 years. They always seemed bulky and unbalanced to me. Ejection and extraction have never been robust and has not inspired confidence. I have had a very few actual extraction/ejection issues with a 700. Have never had any with my Ruger’s including my older tang safety model. I just do not like them. I did kill a good many deer with one in 7 mm Magnum before I gave it to my son. Actually we swapped guns, both 700s in 7mm Mag. He hunts with mine. His is a safe queen in my safe.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
There was a time when the Remington Model 700 was pretty much top of the heap, in factory rifles. Those days, sadly, are long gone. I'm not saying their current offerings are junk, because they are still pretty decent, usually. The problem is you're far more likely to get a lemon than you used to be, with that product line. Also, there are just SO many other really good rifles available on the market, these days.

If I was buying my last ever rifle, I would choose a current production Model 70, in any grade, over a Model 700. I would also consider rifles from Ruger, Tikka, Sako and some other brands, as well. Are you buying the rifle for him or is he paying for it and just asking for a little help deciding? Depending on how deep the pockets go for this purchase, there are a lot of very good options available, in modern rifles.

The last comment I'll make is this: IF I was going to buy a Model 700, I'd buy one that is 20 years old, or more, and swap out the trigger for a Timney. You'd have a much better gun for the money tied up in it.

·
Super Moderator
3,777 Posts
It depends what you prefer

I would not buy any new current production centerfire bolt action rifle. All of my sporting rifles can off the used gun racks in the gun shops that I visited. That is a personal preference and other opinions may vary. So whatever seems to fit, handle well and is within the budget parameters is the way to go. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would not buy any new current production centerfire bolt action rifle. All of my sporting rifles can off the used gun racks in the gun shops that I visited. That is a personal preference and other opinions may vary. So whatever seems to fit, handle well and is within the budget parameters is the way to go. All the best...
Gil
I believe I had a similar discussion a while ago. I have been watching for a couple of rifles to cross my path over the last few year. 721 in 30-06 and a 722 in 257 Roberts. I bought a 722 in 244 remington about 5 years ago. It isn't pretty or new, but it shoots well and is smooth.

But of course, I like 788's, so that says about all that can be said for what I think a rifle should be. I would say I am the exception, not the rule.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking to stay at or under $1K.

There was a time when the Remington Model 700 was pretty much top of the heap, in factory rifles. Those days, sadly, are long gone. I'm not saying their current offerings are junk, because they are still pretty decent, usually. The problem is you're far more likely to get a lemon than you used to be, with that product line. Also, there are just SO many other really good rifles available on the market, these days.

If I was buying my last ever rifle, I would choose a current production Model 70, in any grade, over a Model 700. I would also consider rifles from Ruger, Tikka, Sako and some other brands, as well. Are you buying the rifle for him or is he paying for it and just asking for a little help deciding? Depending on how deep the pockets go for this purchase, there are a lot of very good options available, in modern rifles.

The last comment I'll make is this: IF I was going to buy a Model 700, I'd buy one that is 20 years old, or more, and swap out the trigger for a Timney. You'd have a much better gun for the money tied up in it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The best "throw it your shoulder fit" is the old Remington 721-2. There are scads out there in 270, 30-06, and 300 Savage. Likewise lots of earlier 700's, Ruger m77 tang safeties, and Winchester 70's. Why anyone would pay out the nose for one of these modern cheap looking rifles is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
While I am a RUGER owner and have been for many years, I'll get to the point for my reply in just a few moments.

However, I have an OLD RUGER "Flat Bolt" model 77 .243 which has been a very accurate rifle for MAANY years.

But more recently I have owned two other RUGER bolt actions, both of which have been VERY accurate.

There is the RUGER American 30/06 that groups ever so nicely - sub inch at 100yds. This rifle being sold at an entry level price.

Then my RUGER Hawkeye in 300 Win Mag is again VERY accurate. Sub inch.

The Hawkeye is a step up in quality, without question, but the American is a very serviceable selection.

All three of these rifles have the barrel FLOATED! The 243 when I stocked it in the 80s, the American comes that way from the factory and the Hawkeye - in spite of the instructions saying NOT to do so -, floated after I bought it.

Now, the main reason for my reply to this post is the age thing and with it, the possibility of arms, shoulders, backs and legs possibly protesting the additional weight of a rifle and scope.

Some years back, I passed on my RUGER #1 - 300Win Mag to my son simply because my hands, arms and shoulders protested the weight of the rifle carried in my hands. Hunting in an area where a quick shot very possibly could be required, carrying the rifle in my hands/arms was painful.

Then an Aaaaaahhhhhhhh moment when I found the "Boonie" sling which allows the rifle to QUICKLY!!!! be brought into play, but kept the rifle's weight off of my arms and out of my hands.

Had I found this sling earlier, my son would still be waiting his turn with the #1 - 300.

This sling allows the rifle to be carried across the chest, making it instantly ready for action, all the while keeping the weight off the hands and arms.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
There was a time when the Remington Model 700 was pretty much top of the heap, in factory rifles. Those days, sadly, are long gone.
My last two M700's were built during the transition period of shutting down the Ilion plant. They were dogs. Ruger's are generally OK, (but the economy versions are homely) to my eye. Now, my new Tikka's, very good.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Looking at the following

700 CDL
700 CDL SF
700 AWR

Thanks,
Chris
I don't think I ever really answered you question. All of my Remington 700's shoot +/- an MOA 5 shot groups when I put them on paper. I am not a target shooter and do not shoot a ton of groups for anything other than load development. In the years that we have bought them, we have only had to send one back (25-06 classic that had been chambered incorrectly and that was an early 90's rifle if I remember). We have had 8 total new from 88 to 2017.

One thing that is not super clear. When you ask about accuracy. What are you looking for. Are you looking for 3 shot groups of an inch on average? Are you looking for 10 consecutive 5 shot groups of sub MOA. Accuracy means a lot of things to a lot of people. What does it mean to you and your Dad.

Most of the guys on here have very high requirements for accuracy. I don't know if for most deer hunting that is needed. Sub MOA is nice, but not needed. I used to hunt deer with a slug gun. You didn't mention what animals or ranges he plans to shoot at. That can certainly drive the accuracy requirement.

Most importantly, what does your Dad want? My personal preference would be the standard CDL because I think all rifles should be blued steel and walnut if they are going to go into my cabinet. If you are looking for the one that will probably be the most accurate, it would be the AWR due to what should be a better stock for accuracy.

Personally, I don't think you could buy any new 30-06 rifle on the market right now that would not kill a deer at 300 yards. Unless your Dad is a big paper puncher, he will probably be happy with the one that he likes the looks and fit of more than if it shoots 3/4" groups instead of 1 1/4" 5 shot groups.

Just my opinion. Your results may vary with application.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts