Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,470 Posts
700CDL. Classic lines, hinged floor plate, nice wood.

I look at it this way, my rifles are not going to be mine forever, someday they will be given to my son's, nephews or grandkids. Like 350 Chevys, they are easy to "hotrod" and parts are cheap.

RJ

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Oh, wait, he said Remington, so that's why I suggested what I did.

A Ruger M77 MkII is my favorite, but nothing wrong with the Hawkeye. Get him a Ruger African, the wood and the bluing are purdy.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've never heard of a 700 AWR with problems, I don't believe there an assembly line gun.
Remington just like Ruger, Savage and Winchester have had problems with quality control, from what I read the current crop of them are not so great but I doubt the semi-custom guns are effected.
Remington has made some incredibly accurate rifles, the AWR's, 40-X and the M40 military rifles just to name a few. I've owned a couple that shot good enough for hunter benchrest right out of the box.
As to the triggers they haven't put the Walker trigger on a 700 for over 10 years maybe 15.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My circa 2006 Remington 700 ADL shoots as good as I can ask of it. It's an entry level, synthetic-stocked plane Jane, but the barrel, bolt, and action are the same as any other 700, just with a lesser finish. It shoots fine and sub-MOA as I have developed all loads for it.

Another option I own and can speak of is a Beretta-Tikka walnut/stainless, a very fine rifle. My heart yearns for a Ruger Hawkeye. Still, as someone else mentioned, I think I'd just visit every gun and pawn shop I could, and go on Gunbroker, to find an old Remington, Ruger, or Winchester that I liked. Now that'll be a nice rifle.

Reactions: broom_jm

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remington is in bankruptcy & the holding company that did own them had let there quality control tank, BADLY. They never did make very good barrels & their triggers have caused several lawsuits that have encumbered them. Personally I would avoid Remington products. A Tikka would be a far superior choice & would give you a better bang for the buck. Compare them side by side & it will be obvious. Other opinions may differ.
Never made a good barrel?☺☺☺
Last I heard there was over 10,000 comedians looking for work, you should find another profession

·
Registered
31 Posts
So my Dad is thinking about his last rifle or that is what he is calling it. He has never had a Remington 700. He wants to go 30-06 he is thinking a 700 of one flavor or another.

Question for you all hoping you can help:

How good or bad are the current manufacture 700s from an accuracy standpoint?

Looking at the following

700 CDL
700 CDL SF
700 AWR

Any of those better than the others?

Should we just stay away from Remington?

I might be able to talk him into a M70 sporter or super grade, he doesn't want a featherweight.

Thanks,
Chris
Lots of good used 700s & 721s out there, most if not all will shoot just as good as the trigger finger is capable of

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've bought 3 plastic matte finished 700's in the last 5 years at wally world for custom gun projects, two 223's and a 7-08, they all grouped under an inch with my normal go to loads for those calibers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
they still make the BDL in that caliber but in truth, the only one I would stay away from is the 783 and I can tell you that I have shot group with one and it wasn't a bad shooter but for some reason, Remington put a plastic insert on the back part of the receiver that causes the bolt to bind up when you get in a hurry. (like trying a fellow up shot) but it ain't a bad rifle and is accurate. but your other choices no doubt would be a better choice. (but I really liked my BDL)

·
Registered
264 Posts
No one is mentioning Browning. A hunting partner has one in '06 and loves it. I've shot it and can see why. But I'll add my two-bits to the idea of buying a used 700 and then enhancing it with an after market stock, etc.

I'm not so keen on the 721. I inherited my dad's in '06 and hunted with it for years. Yeah, it was accurate, seemed to shoot almost any load and put the bullets where I intended. But it was heavy! Even with a light Leopold 1x3, it was slightly under 10 lbs. And the weight didn't seem to offset the steel butt plate.

I bought my first new Remington in the early 90's with a 700 "Mountain Rifle" in 280 Rem. It was accurate, very slick bolt and wasn't such a burden in the actual mountains in which I hunted. Another gun I should never have sold.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Been buying and shooting Remington 700s for 40 years, never had a bad one yet. I've owned them from just about every period including the latest 'holding company' scare.

Remington sells budget rifles and higher end rifles. Go with a budget rifle and you may not be happy but if you buy something from the higher end you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
of the models you listed , I'd buy the CDL over the others.

IF, you'd like to buy a heirloom type rifle that would stretch your price range a bit, look at Montana Rifle company. They make stunning guns for a very good price and it would be a rifle your father would cherish.
I think the added money would be money well spent.

https://montanarifleco.com/rifles/asr/

·
Registered
463 Posts
Never made a good barrel?☺☺☺
Last I heard there was over 10,000 comedians looking for work, you should find another profession
I did say that "other opinions my differ". Everyone is entitled to their own. It's unfortunate that you are only able to express yours by denigrating others. I guess using a cognitive explanation of yours is beyond your communication skills. Thanks for the laughs!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I bought my first 700 in 1962...still have it sub MOA.

Since that time we have about 8 700s in the family. Most recent purchase a 700 in 270 W; and like the others it shoots very small groups all day long. never had a problem with 700s, and they have more accesories (including scope mounts) than most all other rifles combined. You will see more 700s on the winner's bench at shoots than any other.

WalMart sells a 700 SPS (syn stock) in '06 and 308 very, very reasonable.

I rate the 700 Remington over the Tika, Savage (close 2nd but ugly), and the Browning. I rate guns on accuracy first; any modern rifle will shoot tight enough for the average Eastern Whitetail.

good luck....let us know your choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Remington is in bankruptcy & the holding company that did own them had let there quality control tank, BADLY. They never did make very good barrels & their triggers have caused several lawsuits that have encumbered them. Personally I would avoid Remington products. A Tikka would be a far superior choice & would give you a better bang for the buck. Compare them side by side & it will be obvious. Other opinions may differ.

The big reason you no longer see 700 actions at any of the bench rest matches. By the time you time and true a 700 action you might as well spend your money for a BAT or Stiller action and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The big reason you no longer see 700 actions at any of the bench rest matches. By the time you time and true a 700 action you might as well spend your money for a BAT or Stiller action and be done with it.
There are still a few 40XR actions being used in 22 benchrest matches. There was a time when trued and sleeved 40X and 700 actions were all the rage in BR, really nice hade made custom actions like the Stolle put an end to that then came the right bolt left port guns for right handed shooters, that pretty much put an end to any big factory gun manufacturers in the game. Those actions start at 1K, not really analogous to the subject here.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Boy we see this thread a lot. What should I get for, fill in a name. Anybody asking this question ever though to take that person shopping and let them decide what they want? Sound's crazy but just might work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Of your choices, the CDL SF. OR, on Gunbroker there is an older, wood stocked Model 700 Mountain Rifle, 30-06, for $700. It has beautiful grain and they are known to shoot well, or can be made that way. An older Model 700 Classic is another great rifle. Cruise Gunbroker and have a look see.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
either a pre 64 winchester m70 or remington m721.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts