Shooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
237 Posts
So my Dad is thinking about his last rifle or that is what he is calling it. He has never had a Remington 700. He wants to go 30-06 he is thinking a 700 of one flavor or another.

Question for you all hoping you can help:

How good or bad are the current manufacture 700s from an accuracy standpoint?

Looking at the following

700 CDL
700 CDL SF
700 AWR

Any of those better than the others?

Should we just stay away from Remington?

I might be able to talk him into a M70 sporter or super grade, he doesn't want a featherweight.

Thanks,
Chris
Of your choices the CDL, with my choice for my money, none of your list makes it. Its an opinion and remember it must be true if it was on the web...:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well made the choice. Actually stretched things a bit on the $ side and not sure it was a good call. We spent a weekend driving around looking at rifles. Settled on a Montana after looking at an ASR then did some looking around online ended up finding a pretty good price on an ALR.

The pictures of it looked good. Got my hands on it yesterday, in my hands it didn't look as good. The finish is messed up, two different colors on the action and the colored pieces in the bolt are two different colors, the bolt handle has two different colors. The wood is beautiful.

The bolt is pretty sloppy and the extractor is very lose. This is pretty disappointing given what I experienced with my Montana X2 I expected similar build quality and I am disappointed. I spent a big part of the day going through the return stuff with MRC trying to talk to Nathan ended up playing phone tag. A lady named Danette eventually got thing rolling for me so hopefully I will have an RMA soon and its going back to MRC.

If they make things right and it shoots like my X2 all will be OK.

I guess time will tell. The three we were pretty set on were M70, 700 CDL and the Montana then splurged. I am disappointed that a rifle with a more premium price (at least to me) made it out the door with the issues we saw. In the end we may not have gotten such a good deal by the time we are done.

So far sounds like MRC wants to fix it so stay tuned.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What ever happened to Dad's desire for His last rifle to be a Remington 700?

Perhaps I missed how Dad was going to use the rifle, or if he prefered wood stock to an aluminium blocked synthetic, or if he requested a tack driving bench rifle to a sub MOA lightweight field rifle?

I'm truly sorry (X2) that the Montana rifle splurged upon was not an acceptable rifle for Dad's last. I just seem to have lost something during the selection process. Did Dad request the Montana? or did his son?

Isn't the most important aspect of this rifle going to be that (Grandpa,Great Grandpa,Great Great Grandpa shouldered this rifle while.......) Dad shouldered this rifle while shooting? JMHO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have an X2 he liked it. We looked an ASR but it was a 308. Looked around online showed him the ALR and that is what he wanted to go with.

The plan didn't come together at all. Now we are trying to sort this out with MRC.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an X2 he liked it. We looked an ASR but it was a 308. Looked around online showed him the ALR and that is what he wanted to go with.

The plan didn't come together at all. Now we are trying to sort this out with MRC.
I was just curious about what the rifles purpose was that the .308 Win couldn't do that the 30-06 was going to perform. Hope MRC makes things right. If not, you can always toss the rifle into your safe and find another that shall make Dad a "Happy Camper". There are swap meets every weekend, there is only one Dad. JMHO.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This should be renamed the acronym thread.:)
Sorry, as an Old Sailor acronyms are part of my Lexicon. It may be caused by my failure as a scribe? ;)

Perhaps this close to the annual family clan Thanksgiving Day Gathering and "Tales from the range" only to be topped by "Tales of the Bowling Alley" a reference to "Dads last rifle" may conquer memories of days past. :eek: Locked in dinners of Holiday Birds like Bourbon Turkeys and Canadian Geese and spitting lead & copper shot missed during the cleaning process. But I digress. Sorry if my failed typing skills lead to excessive acronym use. Should any become lost? just quire for an answer, I'll do my best. Promise. :eek:

·
Registered
218 Posts

So now I must ask a serious question. Controlled round feed premium "Hunting Bolt Actions" (Winchester) cost 400 times more in handworked skills to accurize to the same extent as Push Feed "Target Bolt Actions" (Remington) if they are just to be shot at 300 yard hunting distance. Did Dad want to spend a little time on the 1K one way range? Or did Y'all want to throw good money after a bad principle? :confused:

Y'all need to define your work of art! How does it shoot? Ugly looking rifles that shoot well are Masterpieces. JMHO.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,581 Posts
I was just curious about what the rifles purpose was that the .308 Win couldn't do that the 30-06 was going to perform.
I have one of each. The .308 is as good a rifle
as the 30-06IMP but I find the .308 lacking a little something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

It's not up to us, all we can do is suggest and hope Dad loves it what ever he gets. It's all time well spent together.

RJ

Reactions: M118LR

·
Registered
218 Posts
06 has a bit more with projectiles over 200 grains especially in subzero weather at the 300 yard line.

Got to double down on the time spent with Dad. Priceless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
ASR - American Standard Rifle
ALR - American Legends Rifle

RMA - not sure but something to do with returning the rifle to

MRC - Montana Rlfe company

So yes we deviated but that wasn't my call.

Food for thought for some of the folks here who have never deviated from what they thought once they got their hands on a rifle. Most of the stores which had bolt guns on the shelf didn't even have any of the rifles we wanted to look at on the shelf. Most stores had the plastic stock Ruger American, Savage Axis, Abolt 3s, Not a Tika in sight in a 3006. Did find a used M77 MKII with a synthetic stock in 06. Found a new 700 BDL, no CDLs in the area, drove over to Milwaukee to see what they had at cabelas. Best selection was actually in a couple smaller towns quite a ways from us. 06s were very few and far between. So while I appreciate all the " go try what fits and buy it". There wasn't a lot to try on. Couldn't find a single M70 that wasn't a featherweight or synthetic and none in 06. About the closest we came was a Bergara Timber in 06 and if it had a little nicer wood I think that would have been the one. Yep this didn't play out very well at all. In hindsight should probably have driven up to Scheels in Appleton but neither one of us thought of that at the time. BTW nothing short of custom really fits either Dad or I. He is started to shrink with age but still goes 6'8" I got him a by an inch or so, its really a question of what fits less poorly. The rifle we got is now half way to Kalispell to get corrected.

Seemed to have stirred a lot of folks up here. I won't make the mistake of soliciting input on something like this again. Those of you who provided ideas on what to look at I do appreciate the input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
ASR - American Standard Rifle
ALR - American Legends Rifle

RMA - not sure but something to do with returning the rifle to

MRC - Montana Rlfe company

So yes we deviated but that wasn't my call.

Food for thought for some of the folks here who have never deviated from what they thought once they got their hands on a rifle. Most of the stores which had bolt guns on the shelf didn't even have any of the rifles we wanted to look at on the shelf. Most stores had the plastic stock Ruger American, Savage Axis, Abolt 3s, Not a Tika in sight in a 3006. Did find a used M77 MKII with a synthetic stock in 06. Found a new 700 BDL, no CDLs in the area, drove over to Milwaukee to see what they had at cabelas. Best selection was actually in a couple smaller towns quite a ways from us. 06s were very few and far between. So while I appreciate all the " go try what fits and buy it". There wasn't a lot to try on. Couldn't find a single M70 that wasn't a featherweight or synthetic and none in 06. About the closest we came was a Bergara Timber in 06 and if it had a little nicer wood I think that would have been the one. Yep this didn't play out very well at all. In hindsight should probably have driven up to Scheels in Appleton but neither one of us thought of that at the time. BTW nothing short of custom really fits either Dad or I. He is started to shrink with age but still goes 6'8" I got him a by an inch or so, its really a question of what fits less poorly. The rifle we got is now half way to Kalispell to get corrected.

Seemed to have stirred a lot of folks up here. I won't make the mistake of soliciting input on something like this again. Those of you who provided ideas on what to look at I do appreciate the input.
If I may, might I actually suggest without being asked?

Perhaps the adjustable stock laminated Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun in 30-06 with a 20 inch compensated barrel (or Alaskan 18 inch) would have matched all of Dads last rifles requirements and more?

https://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47118.html

Since it was a controlled round feed "Hunting Rifle" vice a Push Feed Remington 40X Target Rifle, that was easier to tote afield than the 24 inch Montana Rifle. But I can only suggest since I'm not part of the "Round Table Discussion". ;)

Bye the way, you have internet access. Any firearm available on the internet can be had within a few moments of conversation with your local firearms broker/Gun store and a minimal transfer fee. JMHO.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good Luck! and hey, don't worry about stirring things up. Makes interesting reading for the 98% that are not commenting but feeling your pain, anxiety. Hope it gets back in plenty of time to make the nine day gun season. Again, good luck. Mike

41 - 60 of 74 Posts