Shooters Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well, should MRC deliver the BOHICA, you can always do a static measurement on Dad's LOP and purchase a synthetic stock from Stocky's Stocks. JMHO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Be sure to let us know when you get it back. I trust it will be perfect!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Got the rifle back from Montana two weeks ago. Broke the barrel in with Hornady American whitetail shoots to about .70 of an inch. Finish is much better and bolt seems to be much better too.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Congratulation son (CSP) should I expect to see that rifle under the tree??

your loving father
Dad

ps good choice

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Why not a fwt? A mod 70 fwt with a scope comes in at 8.5 lbs and that's the correct wt. for a 30-06 IMO..I like the schnable stock fwt...My latest is the 7x57 but only if your a handloader, if not then the 270 or 30-06 is probably the best deer rifle in existence, always has been and can do the job on an elk for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ll say this about the Remington 700. I’m a Winchester 70 guy so I’ve never bothered to own one but I came across a good deal On a 1993 700 BDL so I bought it. It’s in like new condition and I’m surprised at how nice it is. The stock looks like a high grade walnut, the “bowling pin” varnish looks durable and the bluing is nice and deep. The action is so smooth that held at about 45 degrees, the action slides open (when unlocked). The trigger is not great, but better than good. I haven’t shot it yet, but I’m very impressed

·
Registered
327 Posts
Love the older Remingtons! Go ahead and have a good smith put you a Trigger Tech Primary trigger in, install a Limbsaver recoil pad and torque it down to 50 inch pds, get ready to enjoy! :) ha Sounds like you found a good one. I actually had the Walker triggers just adjusted well, never used a replacement trigger until I moved here to Utah. I like Timneys, Shilen, Kepplinger, Jewel, and Trigger Tech. I just had a Trigger Tech Special ( it goes lighter) put in a new Bergara B14 Hunter ( Mod 700 Clone) Love it, but I shoot well at 2# to 2 1/2#

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would opt for a Ruger 77 or a win. mod 70, the newest Winchester are a lot of gun for the money...Im not a fan of Remington, as they have a backlog of law suits pending for millions of dollars involving a faulty trigger system, most of these over he years have been settled out of court..All I can say is where there is smoke, there is fire...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Remington 700 is a great gun. They don't fire themselves and the safeties are as good as any other. If you don't keep your finger off the trigger you can't blame the gun. Even after they redesigned the trigger people kept filing suits because they figured they could get money for free.

In the only lawsuit that went to court Remington proved that the trigger worked as it should and that the safety worked as it should. They also demonstrated that if the gun was not maintained as required in the owners pamphlet Rust could get under the trigger sear plate and cause problems. This was determined to be owner neglect and Remington was not responsible.

I own three Remingtons and have never had trigger or safety problems with any of them. I've never met anyone who has.

·
Banned
237 Posts
;)
Remington 700 is a great gun. They don't fire themselves and the safeties are as good as any other. If you don't keep your finger off the trigger you can't blame the gun. Even after they redesigned the trigger people kept filing suits because they figured they could get money for free.

In the only lawsuit that went to court Remington proved that the trigger worked as it should and that the safety worked as it should. They also demonstrated that if the gun was not maintained as required in the owners pamphlet Rust could get under the trigger sear plate and cause problems. This was determined to be owner neglect and Remington was not responsible.

I own three Remingtons and have never had trigger or safety problems with any of them. I've never met anyone who has.
Some people still believe the world is flat, doesn't make it true.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm trying to remember how many trigger issues I've had with the nine (9) Remington* rifles I've owned.

Hmmm......nope. Nothing.

*includes my first rifle, a 721/'06 "borrowed" from my dad's closet and two custom 700s, all with factory triggers.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
I'm afraid you two don't know what a 'design defect' is. First of all - the Rem safety is NOT like 'every other' safety. The three-position safety on a Mauser, or a Model 70 for that matter, pushes the striker away from the sear. Remington, and many others, use a 'trigger block' that DOES NOT prevent the striker from firing the gun, if the sear jumps the trigger. Mistaken assumption number one.

Mistaken assumption number two - tell me where to find instructions on how to clean a Walker trigger assembly? I'd be stunned if you could find them from Remington. And I'd be pretty amazed if you could figure out how to clean the insides, without disassembling it :confused:

Mostly, I would guess the problem of Walker triggers going off when they shouldn't, was more likely due to dried up oil, or bits of brass that the extractor shaves off the cartridge rim. Rust would certainly be a possibility, but tell me how to properly maintain the parts inside their little metal box? Again, compare to a mauser or Model 70 where the trigger and sear are where you can get to them.

Why don't you take apart a Walker trigger and LOOK at it and SEE the loose 'connector' that can flop around, and not reseat every time? The new Remington trigger FORCES the connector to reseat - a modification that Mike Walker suggested in the 1950s...... Huh.... gee.... why did they add that part NOW?

You guys need to LOOK at things, before making assumptions. The safety on your Walker trigger will NOT prevent it from firing, if the connector does not reseat properly. That is a fact, and basic mechanics.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Some good information on the walker trigger.

https://www.shootersforum.com/gunsmithing/90384-remington-700-trigger-maintenance.html

I had a 788 that I bought that had the problem that MikeG mentions. Sprayed down with gun scrubber, blowed out with compressed air, lightly oiled with rem oil. No more issues.

Other rifles have issues as well if not maintained properly or monkeyed with. Not saying that other trigger or safety systems are not better.

At the end of the day, the only real safety on any firearm is between your ears.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts