Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this is my first post so take it easy on me. I own a remington 300 sa ultra mag with a 22 inch barrel. Im looking for any advice on handloading for this rifle. I am having trouble finding ammo and I also want better performance. the gun is used primarily for alpine mule deer hunting, I feel comfortable shooting out to 400 yards but I want to shoot farther. Right now I'm using factory 180 grain rem corelok bullets and would like to go to a 150 grain. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
First, do you already reload?

I don't own a SAUM. Having reloaded and hunted for many years with a .30-06, I really feel that 165 gr boat tail bullets are your best bet for the type of shooting you mention. I see from Hodgdons data that most of the same powders I use for .30-06 are top choices for the SAUM and 165s as well - Varget, 4064, H414/W760, 4350, with the Saum shooting 100 to 150 fps faster. I would use Magnum LR primers and try a few of these powders and Sierra Game Kings, Nosler Ballistic tips, Hornady SSTs and Interlock Boat Tails and work up the most accurate loads you can. 165s are better in the wind, are probably on balance more accurate, and penetrate better than 150s. The trajectory difference is minimal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My Ruger MkII 300 SAUM is pretty picky about loads.Mine is fond of Nosler BT's in 150 gr.It also shoots the 150 gr E-Tips very well.The only powder that has worked for me so far is H-414.I have tried Win 760,RL 17 and IMR4350 with several 150 gr bullets and the Noslers and H-414 is the best combination so far.It shoots ok with Remington Corlokt Ultra Bond bullets.I used that bullet for one of my South Dakota Whitetail does I killed recently.I was impressed with the performance of the UltraBond.You just have to try different combinations and see what works for your particular rifle.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Heavier bullets will perform better (more accurate, less drop, more energy) at long range than lighter bullets. Every rifle is different, so what works in one gun may not work well in another, you just have to test it and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts