Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own any remingtons (except .22 auto). I know that the Rem 700 action is often considered tops, but I don't know the difference between ADL, CDL, etc. Saw a youth model 700ADL in the paper, and am considering buying it for my kids. Is the ADL a good choice?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That is what I wanted to know. Don't know enough about it to decide yet, it is listed as having scope, etc. for $450, but I don't know what brand scope or what condition they are in. Wanted to find out what ADL meant before I went any further with it.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Most of the youth models will be ADL because it's their basic "trim" model.

The BDL is going to have a nicer select piece of walnut for the buttstock and forearm. If the stock is synthetic, it will probably have a higher-grade synthetic stock.

The CDL will have choice wood and probably a jeweled bolt, and maybe a few other touches I can;t think of. I once owned a Rem 700 in 7MM Remington Megnum that I'm pretty sure was a CDL. The reason I say "pretty sure" is because that was so many years ago - long before I paid attention to what "grade" a rifle was, but I sure remember the fine walnut and jeweled bolt of that beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Only thing I'd add to what's already been said is that I don't believe any ADL models have a hinged floor plate, whereas both the BDL and CDL versions do (or DM). :D

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The ADL has a blind magazine, meaning that to unload the rifle you have to cycle the rounds through the action.

The BDL and CDL has a hinged floor plate allowing you to depress a lever which will drop the floor plate empting the magazine. There are also some that use a detachable magazine.

There are also different levels of finish and grades of wood.

CD

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
The CDL is relatively new, they have a matte finish and usually come with some kind of barrel upgrade, like fluting or stainless with the walnut stock. The older nice guns with glossy finish and polished blue barrels are BDLs. ADLs have gone through a few 'generations.' I have a newer one with a parkerized finish and basement grade synthetic stock, and an older one with polished blue barrel and glossy walnut stock. The one thing that rings true for ADLs is the blind magazine, except for the detachable box magazine versions.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ADL = Accidental Discharge Likely :eek: That is just to "dig" Swampy.

Actually I have 2 BDLs and 1 CDL. Never had an accidental discharge with any of them. Two of them were tack drivers (22-250 and 338 RUM).

The 243 Win in BDL (new out of the box) had horrible accuracy until I glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel. It now shoots like the other two. I don't like the plastic bottom "metal" on the new BDLs.

I think the ADL would be a good youth rifle.

Barstool(er)

·
Inactive account
788 Posts
I have two ADLs, and have owned them for many years. There has never been a problem with accuracy, nor any liklihood of accidental discharge.
If there is an accidental discharge with an ADL while unloading it is operator error, not design. Yes, you need to use the bolt to push the cartridges out of the magazine, but you don't need to push the bolt fully forward, nor do you need to close the bolt. You simply push the bolt to pop the cartridge out and then tip it out.
Nothing inherently wrong with it as a youth rifle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Remington Opinion

The Remington 700 ADL Youth Model is perfect for beginners or smaller shooters. As far as the 700 action, the only one that rivals it is the Winchester M70. I've owned all three. The ADL is a no frills model, the BDL is the middle grade and the CDL is supposedly tops. IMO the BDL is a much nicer gun than the other two. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
IMHO, the blind magazine makes the ADL a first-rate P.I.T.A. with cold, gloved and/or inexperienced hands. I owned an ADL for a little while. It was a .270 Win and it shot very well. It's user-friendliness factor sucked. So I sold it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Remington doesn't even make an ADL anymore. The blind magazine guns are SPS models. BDL/CDL are not one is better than the other. They are both top models. BDL's will be gloss blue and wood, will have iron sights, and a Monte Carlo Stock. CDL's are matte blue and wood with straight comb and no iron sights.

While the blind magazine is a little cumbersome to unload, I have known of several guys with hinged floor plate Rem's dumping their rounds on the ground with gloved trigger fingers. In my opinion there are better floor plate releases than the Remington. I have an ADL and have not found it to be that big of an issue to unload. Replacement stocks are a bit harder to find however.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
contrear my friend, Although not listed on their web or catalog. They still make the 700 ADL for WalMart. Wife bought a NIB on this spring. It included a 3x9 scope, black syntheic stock and the new Xmark trigger.

CD

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
I have to ask why a blind magazine is troublesome to unload? I just point the muzzle up, and work the bolt slowly. As soon as a round jumps from the feed lips, retract the bolt..... it never chambers and is sitting on the bolt. Tip the rifle toward the ejection port and the round falls in your hand.

Repeat as necessary.... takes a few more seconds than unloading a magazine with a floor plate.

Having hunted with lever actions and being used to working the action to unload, I suppose I have a different perspective?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.