Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a remington 700 Police model and had a few questions. I heard that i can send the gun into Tac Ops and they will do a number of things to increase accuracy for somethin around 1,500 bucks:eek: The Question i had was, I read that tune up review on sniper central and they said there rifle came from tac ops with a leopold scope on it (4-16 i think?...). Is the scope and action job ect. what the 1500 dollars covers? if so thats a steal isnt it?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would have a hard time giving them $1,500 to bolt a few parts on when I can build a Tack Driver for that or a little less that will most likely shoot better, with a better barrel and more customized work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definitely shoot it first. I'm not sure what your skill level is but it may shoot better than you out of the box. I met a gentlemen last year at the range who was a sniper for the local sherrif dept. and he had one of those rem 700s in 308 that has the short heavy barrel. He said all he had done to it was a trigger adj. I watched him put 5 shots in one ragged 1/2" hole at 100m. I wanted to hide my target:rolleyes: That was a 20 degree day and he shot off a bipod with federal premium ammo. I don't know if all those guns shoot that well, but it shot better than most shooters can on a good day. I know if you were a bad guy and this fella saw your eyeball peeking through a hole in a concrete wall 100yds away, you'd be a dead man!:eek:

·
Banned
502 Posts
Go to the range with some decnt ammo or reloads and use some sand bags to help you support the rifle and se how it does. If you can borrow a Lead Sled, use it.

These are excellent rifle to begin with. Do you need 1/2 MOA at 1,000 yards?

Jerry

·
Banned
140 Posts
I'd test it first. I recently picked up a used 700 VS in .308, which seems to be a pretty similar setup to the 700P (HS Precision stock etc). I've got a 6x24 Bushnel scope on it.

With Rem Match grade ammo (168gr match king bullet), mine shoots well under MOA at 200 yards.

Chris.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tang nailed it. First off see if the rifle is worth spending addition money on. I may shoot like crap, but most likely it will shoot fine, and if you're lucky it might shoot fantastic right out of the box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't think you will have to do much to it. My REM 700 Police just needed a little tweaking on the triger. Shoots sub MOA with 165 sierra boat tails or speer hot cors. I'm only able to achieve approximatly 2600fps with acurate loads. Just invest in a triger job, good scope mounts and glass and see what it will do with good loads before you mess with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts