Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a REM 700 VLS (.243) with a twist rate spec of
1 in 9 1/8th.

Burgerbullet.com recommends using an 85 - 90 (in a 6mm bullet) grain bullet for a gun with my twist rate (1 – 9 1/8), yet for varmint hunting, I would like to shoot the smallest bullet I can, such as a 55 grain bullet (which recommends a 1/14 twist).

My question....... When shooting a bullet grain that does not meet the recommended twist rate specs, can I expect to get accurate performance??

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
Too fast of a twist won't hurt anything for ordinary hunting / target shooting. If it's a real thin jacket and you run too fast they can sometimes come apart in flight, but normally 6mm bullets are pretty tough. There aren't a lot of slow 6mm cartridges around so hardly anyone makes excessively weak/soft 6mm bullets. By contrast in .22 cal you have to avoid bullets for the Hornet, and even .222, when you want to run your .220 Swift at full throttle.

Nosler is selling lots of 55gr. BTs in 6mm for .243s (1-10" twist) and 6mm Rem (1-9" twist).

Long range, like 800 - 900 - 1000 yard shooting, it can make a difference, but you wouldn't select a 55gr. bullet for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts