Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting on of these as a second bolt gun. I have heard that it isn't a good choice. The price is right. Does anyone have any opinions on this. I just don't want to make a bad decision.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I was looking at one the other day, and all in all, you get what you pay for, with the posibility of getting more than you pay for.  Remember the old 788, looked like yuck but shot like the dickens?  This may be another one of those type rifles.  Finish on the rifle was OK, the action was nowhere near as smooth as a 700 because the bolt is riding in a plastic sleeve, but the bolt locks into the barrel and that may indeed be a very good thing.  The Blazer has the bolt lock into the barrel and there aren't any flies buzzing the Blazer.  It's not pretty, it's not flashy, and it's not smooth, but it does hold potention for being a decent shooter.  Personally, I would get the more expensive 700, but if that is not in your budget and you don't want to wait until it is, then the 710 looks pretty good considering the price.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Perhaps I'm just too much entrenched in traditional design, but then again, I like the idea of a gun that can have a new barrel fitted if I like as well.

If for a second gun, I think I'd opt for a good condition used rifle of traditional design and manufacture than to jump onto this hybrid newcomer.

I'ts true that the 788's were excellent shooters, but then again they were of a more conventional design, albeit they had the rear locking lugs on the bolt.  

Oh, well, just my very biased first impressions of Remington's newest offering.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have never shot one of the new 710 rifles,but the few that I have seen look poorly made,have horrible triggers,rough actions and ugly.I have heard a lot of bad remarks about this new rifle.Personally I would forget the 710 and buy a used rifle like a model 700 or Ruger m77.For about the same amount of money you could buy a new Savage rifle and have a much better gun in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a hard core Rem 700/7 man. The fact that the 710 can not be rebarreled, even if everything else was great, is enough to keep me from buying one!!!

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have not shot one but have handled a few and they just turn my stomach. As stated above the actions are not smooth or easy to use (they felt to me like a cock-on-close M96) and they are ugg-lee. I agree with the others. Buy a used rifle or a new Savage for a second rifle. Just my opinion, Sean

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I think they are a disgrace to the Remington name. One point that hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread, there are no gas escape holes in the action/pipe. Pierce a primer and guess where the hot gases and any molten primer metal go? How did that get past the legal department at Big Green?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts