Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today, i got a remington m14 in 30 rem that was made in 1925(91XXX). i have to field stripped and bore slugged it for cast boolits.

Reactions: Bungalow Bill

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Neat guns!! Another John Browning creation.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
479 Posts
Actually the 14 was a Pedersen creation. Have the 30 and the 35 which both shoot great. I shoot jacketed bullets from both. Cases can be made from 30-30 cases by removing the rim and cutting an extractor groove.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sold mine a couple years ago as i needed money to purchase another rifle.. one thing to watch is sometimes the rifle can fire when the action is closed... One time long ago in a land far away i was making sure my cast bullets would cycle and when the action closed the rifle fired. now i knew it was possible so as always was pointing it at a stack of books. the light charge of unique penetrated 8 and lodged in the 9th little golden childs book. i do think i have some brass left not sure where it is but seems i ran across some recently. joe g aka argie1891

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know the feeling. i accidentally shot my old air conditioning unit. don't ask!!! just know that a 280gr wfn gc with unique in 444 marlin is NOT for ac.

·
Super Moderator
9,424 Posts
Old guy ramble:

HAve always appreciated the14'sand 141's. Thin and handy. The 141 was stocked a little differently, while technically better,wasn't really enough difference to get too excited about.

Spiral mag tube actually worked to avoid the spitzer/tube mag. issues ...system moves the tube back and forth as you pump,which is kind of odd at first.

Got "sucked" into the M14 (.30)simply because it was used, cheap, and ugly. Had a cracked off stock toe, shattered butt pad, and was pretty much "gray" rather than blue. Take down feature showed that it was not use, but external abuse...and a good bore.

Later the M141 (.25) was pretty much like the M14 in condition....not signs of hard internal use, just age and neglect.

Don't remember any problems getting them to run on cast bullets ( a .30 M14 and a .25 M141),but mostly either of them got lead loads from the low end (looking for practice loads rather than hunting loads).

Long enough ago that .30 Rem.brass wasn't any harder to order than any other.

See where there is still some brass to be had...about $1 a case.

Forming from 30-30 will need a lathe. Had a little Unimat that was my main case lathe (really liked shooting old guns/odd ammo,so that little Lathe got a lot of use).
Not a rifle you'll spend hours at the bench with (belongs out on a woods-walk)....so 100 cases would last you a long long time.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a .30 rem in a Remington model 8. Brass is hard to find but can be made from 30-30 win brass if you're handy with a lathe.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Precision still loads factory .30 rem ammo. I picked up a box last year for the model 8 I had just acquired. 30-30 win dies will work for it as well as 30-30 load data.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Be careful about full length resizing. The shoulder is slightly different. I thought they were the same in the beginning too. The shoulder angle on the 30 Remington is sharper shouldered and will be damaged by the 30-30 dies. There are 30 Remington dies available from several sources so it's best to get the right die. You can neck resize only with 30-30 win dies. The seating die will work fine so you just need the resizing die.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a 141 myself. I bought it on a whim cause it came with several boxes of ammo. I've done some plinking with plated bullets. OAL length seems to be critical for function and the magazine can make a mess of cast bullets, if they're not hard cast. I have ran a few 168gr Eagan bullets through it. They worked ok, despite warnings I got from the fellows on the Remington Collector's website. I love the way it handles! I pulled some of the .307 bullets out of the Remington ammo to use for hunting rounds in my tight bored K31, but haven't gotten around to loading them yet.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Neat guns!! Another John Browning creation.
The Guns of Remington, page 285, Third paragraph: "Model's 14,14½, 25 and the 141 were also based on John D. Peterson's design of the Remington Model 12, chambered for the .22 long rifle rimfire round".

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I've got a 141 myself. I bought it on a whim cause it came with several boxes of ammo. I've done some plinking with plated bullets. OAL length seems to be critical for function and the magazine can make a mess of cast bullets, if they're not hard cast. I have ran a few 168gr Eagan bullets through it. They worked ok, despite warnings I got from the fellows on the Remington Collector's website. I love the way it handles! I pulled some of the .307 bullets out of the Remington ammo to use for hunting rounds in my tight bored K31, but haven't gotten around to loading them yet.
We found that out also. Bullet seating depth could even be a little bit short of O.A.L. as we found that if the rounds were a bit long, they would not be fed from the magazine.
Found that Redding dies work very well, but are pricey these days. They use a "step-reamer" to form the sizing dies so the neck always runs true to the case body.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also have a model 14 in 30 rem. Mine also had a rough life so I had a new stock and forend made and the barrel and action disassembled and reblued. I load both 150 and 170 grain round nose corelocts. Tried the Hornady flex tips but the magazine did not like them. I have killed 3 bucks and several hogs with it and love how it carries. Mine was made in 1919. Something about a hundred year old gun doing what it was made to do. Mine came with a Redfield peep mounted on the holes tapped in the end of the reciever. I got lucky as I acquired this gun at the same time the 6.8 DOC came out and probably the last time Remington did a run of 30 rem cases. I bought 200 figuring that would last me the rest of my life.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Gunsmiths who work much on M14 and M141 rifles know that generally these do not like pointed bullets. Several have mentioned that the best way to jam either of these rifles is to load spitzer bullets. (For those who care, this adds more confirmation that the pointed 150-grain .35 Remington ammunition was not developed for the spiral M14/142 magazines. By the time that ammunition was offered, the M141 was no longer produced.)

I owned both M12 and M14 rifles in my youth, sadly they are long gone. Browning indeed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts