Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,305 Posts
Bear, I've seen plenty of wild pigs killed with a .308, no problem.

My father-in-law has shot several elk with a .280 Rem, again, no problem.

Mike Venturino has written about using a .308 for all of Montana's game in Shooting Times (including elk).

Use good bullets and don't try to pick them off in the next county (just common sense).

Would be a nice handy gun for climbing the mountains!

·
Banned
126 Posts
I have killed one elk with a .284 Win, one with a 7X57 and four with a .280. I can't see enough difference between them and the 7-08 to put in your hat. Shoot it well and you will have elk meat.

dclark

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
I'll make it a trifecta. Use high quality bullets, practice from offhand and sitting positions, and keep your shots within a reasonable distance and you'll be eating elk steaks this Fall. We, as a shooting and hunting community as a whole, get far too bent out-of-shape over what cartridge to use for this or that. Most of the doubt is planted by the manufacturers who want to sell you the latest .300 Short Thunderzapper. I can't really blame them since they're trying to remain in business. But the "latest n' greatest" is never needed. If you do your part as a conscientious hunter, your .308 carbine won't let you down.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
Sorry I didn't read this sooner! Without a doubt the .308 Model 7 will work on elk. My father-in-law and I use a 30-06 and .308 (both my rifles!) for hunting in North Idaho. We have been using 165gr Partitions successfully, going to try X-bullets this year just for a change. My .308 is a Rem 700 with the barrel shortened a bit - picture a M7 with a fat barrel!

Use it with confidence! IDShooter

·
Registered
268 Posts
Bear Wallow~

I nearly got a Remington model 7 in 7mm-08 my local shop had one, but i was not a reloader at the time so i left it sitting on the shelf , shame it was a realy dinky little rifle.

I may be wrong but i believe Remington now makes the model 7 only with 20" barrel and have discontinued the 18.5"
check there web site..........

Englander:confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts