Discussion Starter #1
August 23 1989 Salt Lake City Utah
Parker Otto Ackley died 86 years old
there will never be another like him.
A GREAT LOSS TO ALL OF US.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Mr Ackley was truly one of a handful of pioneers in the world of cartridge design and refinement. That his works and his cartridges are still so often discussed is a testament to his legacy. He changed how people and gun companies look at metallic cartridges by questioning how they were being made and marketed to consumers. I personally feel he advanced center-fire cartridge design by decades with his work and every would-be wildcatter since then has benefited. I put him right up there in the same category with John Browning and Samuel Colt, in terms of his impact on the shooting world.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I spent many hours in Parker Ackley's shop in Ogden Utah while stationed there, and he was never too busy that he couldn't take the time to teach a young novice,[Me] just starting out in working on guns. I learned a lot from him, and was even allowed to try my hand at rifling and lapping a barrel. So I guess I have a lot to remember him by.

By the way, if anyone comes across a Winchester Hi Wall in .32/40 with L.R.L. stamped on the bottom of the 1" dia 30" barrel, I would pay a premium price for it. It has that barrel on it. Stock and forearm is Shutzen style Curley Maple with cheek peice and a hooked butt plate.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ackley's improved cartridges have much going for them.

I never figured out why the 7-30 Waters cartridge did not feature the PO Ackley case. Perhaps it would have become popular instead of fading into the shadows. I once handled a long barreled custom Marlin levergun featuring wildcat cartridge of 30-30 improved case necked down to 6.5mm. Owner stated that velocity equaled the older 270-300 Savage wildcat cartridge. In other words, flat shooting for hunting deer well past 200 yards. The creative thinking of wildcatters is noteworthy!

Was Ackley of Mormon faith like the great John Moses Browning? Just curious.

TR

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Was going thru some of my old magazines I've kept over the years and came across an article on him... American Rifleman 1979.:) He was quite a fellow.:cool:

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have pictures of Harry Pope. P.O. Ackley and Fred Zeglin hanging on my office wall.
Beartooth forum member , Fostule, corresponded quite a bit with P.O. and owns several rifles he made up for him.
I am a big Ackley fan and just bought another hardback copy of his Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders from Ken Callahan. I just couldn’t resist this one and another copy of Naramore’s Principles and Practices of Han loading Ammunition, hard to pass up a good reading copy.

Taking nothing away from P.O. Ackley but there were quite a number of wildcatters who cut a swath through the reloading world in the 1930’s and ‘40’s. Unfortunately for us, few of them were writers. If ever two magazine writers work deserved to be gathered together in abook devoted to their writing it is Ackley and Robert Hutton.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have pictures of Harry Pope. P.O. Ackley and Fred Zeglin hanging on my office wall.
Beartooth forum member , Fostule, corresponded quite a bit with P.O. and owns several rifles he made up for him.
I am a big Ackley fan and just bought another hardback copy of his Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders from Ken Callahan. I just couldn’t resist this one and another copy of Naramore’s Principles and Practices of Han loading Ammunition, hard to pass up a good reading copy.

Taking nothing away from P.O. Ackley but there were quite a number of wildcatters who cut a swath through the reloading world in the 1930’s and ‘40’s. Unfortunately for us, few of them were writers. If ever two magazine writers work deserved to be gathered together in abook devoted to their writing it is Ackley and Robert Hutton.
why not do all of us a favor and post a copy of the picture so we can have a copy too?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I have a new computer and have mnot loaded a picture program yet. I'll have to get it loaded and reduce some pictures for posting.
Here are a couple to get started. I dont know if the reduced pictures are suitable for printing or not.

I just looked at these and they dont look very good in the reduced format.

send me a bllank e-mail and Ill send you a larger picture of Ackley and Pope.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Back in the late 1960's; I had the pleasure talking to Mr. Ackley, on the phone, concerning building a .17 Ackley Bee on a small Martini action. He gave me great advice & wanted me to let him know how my .17 Bee Rifle works out. A very nice Gentleman which the "Gun World" lost back in August of 1989.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a new computer and have mnot loaded a picture program yet. I'll have to get it loaded and reduce some pictures for posting.
Here are a couple to get started. I dont know if the reduced pictures are suitable for printing or not.

I just looked at these and they dont look very good in the reduced format.

send me a bllank e-mail and Ill send you a larger picture of Ackley and Pope.
Can you tell us who each picture is of from left to right?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
When I put my cursor on them the are identified with the name. I thought it would work that way for everyone. Do you see them as small thumbnails?

"The Old Master is Harry Pope. There was a very good American Rifleman article under this title on him years ago.

Art Mashburn of Mashburn Arms in Oklahoma City is well known to 7mm Magnum fans and to those who like the 218 Bee. Herbert Lomgo was quite a wildcatter.

Hunttington of course is RCBS.
Fred Zeglim has Z-Hat and is currently building rifles and teaching courses on gunsmithing and wildcatting.

Alvin York is thrown in just for fun.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Youre right! I miss-labled that one and Greg Mushial pointed that out. Greg did the drawings for his book. I'll fix it.
I have a better picture of Ackley but I cant locate it at the moment.

This should be Fred Zeglin, if I am hitting the right icon. What I like about Zeglin is he appreciates the contribution of those who came before such as Ackley.
I would rather have a picture of Zeglin bent over his lathe such as the Ackley and many of the Pope pictures.

One of the best Pope opictures is Harry asleep in his shop, sitting upright in a chair.

I have about 150 different gunsmith pictures and perhaps 200 aircraft mechanic pictures.

I need to get them off the old hard drive and onto the new computer. A few of them i dont have identified but have them in folders to associate them with other gunsmoiths.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts