Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was about 13 or 14 (1960-61), our local Co-op opened a brand new grocery store in our town (Grenfell, SK). My Dad was one of the board members, so he conscripted me to help stock the shelves for opening day. One of the items for sale was a sporterized military surplus 6.5 of some kind. I don't remember what exact calibre it was, but it sure looked good with a nice blonde stock. Now you couldn't even say the word "gun" in a grocery store and the SWAT team would be on its way. As far as I know, none of us kids that bought or were given guns back then turned out to be slobbering idiots. I recall walking out of town to go hunting, carrying my old .22 or my Dad's old Tobin double, and the little old ladies walking along the street would just smile at us and we'd exchange "hello's". The old "town cop" used to drive by and wave. (He drove a blue and red Nash-early '50's.)

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
That kind of reminds me of my childhood. I grew up in Amish country, and made friends with several of the local Amish boys. I remember going to their school and the boys had shotgun shells in their desks and shotguns leaned in the corner for hunting after school. I don't ever recall hearing about a violent crime committed by an Amishman.
Also, we used to keep our guns in the car, parked in the high school parking lot, for duck and goose hunting in the afternoons. Nobody at our school ever got shot the whole time I was there. Imagine that! IDShooter

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The High School I went to had a rifle range in the basement. I guess we wouldn't get that by the school board nowadays.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Deer season was an unofficial holiday. Even the principal played hooky. You could walk down the halls between classes and get an echo. Back then, not too many girls hunted and the place looked like a girl's Academy 'cause most all the boys were in the woods chasing deer. We all had guns in the trunk or behind the seat or in the rear window of the truck. Nobody ever got shot and the only time there were any drivebys, the only thing flying through the air was either eggs or water baloons.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Chief RID
More like Liberals -took over the schools!! Think about it! and yes They reduced the freedom we all enjoyed.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,948 Posts
Ah, the memories!

Remember one time in high school (early 50's) I would be in Science class on a nice Spring day - the teacher would step out of the room and I would go to an open window, pry the heeled .22 LR lead bullet from a case with my teeth (couldn't do that anymore!), leave a string of powder on the granite slab window sill leading to the empty but primed case. Would light the powder string with a kitchen match, the powder would burn into the case and set the primer off with a bang and the case would go sailing off into the distance.

Got reprimanded for causing burn streaks on the window sills, not for having live ammo or playing with same in class. Foolish thing to do, but back then everyone, teachers included, had a much more realistic approach to life and what was really important.

·
Banned
87 Posts
I remember in the late 50's early 60's we had a shooting club at the jr hi. I and several others would bring our 22's on the bus with a pocket full of ammo. When we got to school we would put the 22's in the priciples office untill after school then go shoot. Some times we would just ride our bikes to school with the 22's tied to the handle bars. The reason it's the way it is now was caused by apathy. If our country's founding fathers were of the apathetic type we would be singing hail to the queen.

You know your a red neck when you think fast food is hitting a deer at 65 mph

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I went to high school,we had a shooting club and brought our .22 target rifles to shcool with us on Thursdays so that we could go to practice after school. We stored them in our lockers. They had to be in cases.

When I was 12-13 we shot pigeons at the edge of town. We would go down to the grocery store and buy our shells then ride our bikes out to the edge of town with the shotguns across the handlebars.

In college,I taught a class once a week at the local Jr. High in target shooting. This was done as a part of physical education and we had 25 portable trap/targets that we set up in the gym. We used .22 single shot rifles. Never had an accident or a problem.

Things and kids have certainly changed today! :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts