Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my dad's old Remington 11-48 (Serial 5020700 - Manuf. May, 1949) out of the closet after about 20 years and want to start shooting it again but I'm not confident on how to set up the recoil system. I've seen info on the web about the model 11 but I think the 11-48 is different. The handbook PDF isn't all that clear. From the trigger forward, I have the Recoil Spring, the Recoil Spring Ring, and then the Friction Piece (which stays inside the Barrel Guide.) The handbook mentions a "Felt Wiper Ring" inside the Recoil Spring Ring but I don't have one of those. The Ring has a heavy load/light load option with arrows (I assume they are supposed to point towards the front of the barrel). Other than a nice light coat of oil, any suggestions on how I should change this set up to go shoot some clays?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Use a "very" light coat of lube on the mag tube, lube it lightly with oil or gun grease (non-moly) and wipe off all you can get with a clean dry rag, it will then be correctly lubed. Excess lube negates the effect of the friction ring. The arrows are basically correct, however, as I tell folks with A-5's, set it for heavy loads, if it ejects leave it alone. Bear in mind that a few parts, ie: friction ring, are between difficult and impossible to find if they wear out. That model hasn't been made in many years and is not supported by Remington. GW

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I have my grandfathers old 11-48 12 Ga. It is a well built old gun. I too would like to know the exact recoil ring setup as I always have to do it by trial and error. Get ready for a good thumping though as the 11-48 kicks almost as bad if not worse than the Rem. Mod 11.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just picked up a 28 ga 11-48, the one I have has the felt oil gasket inside the recoil Spring ring and the two arrows one states toward spring and the other says all loads.. I'm guessing it's a newer model and is more of the self regulating design.. It was a good price and I was looking for a quail gun in 28 gauge at the time..so I jumped on it... I'll get some pictures taken of it for ya in a few days... B2B

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

FWIW, the 11-48 (I have a .410 with a custom tang safety, below) was nothing but a fancy Model 11 - both are of the same John Browning long recoil design.

The recoil control system has 3 pieces, all underneath the forearm wrapped around the magazine tube, a spring (the main recoil spring), a thin steel ring with an internal bevel, and a bronze friction ring wrapped by a flat steel spring band).

To set the system properly:

Light ammo: steel ring goes against the receiver, UNDER the spring, FLAT FACE TOWARD THE SPRING (always). Friction ring goes atop the spring, between it and the barrel ring.

For heavy loads:
Steel ring moves to the top of the spring, again, FLAT SIDE TO THE SPRING, this "squeezes" the bronze friction ring from both sides, more drag for higher power shells.

USE VERY LITLE OIL on the magazine tube !!!!! (especially in cold weather)

·
Registered
137 Posts
FWIW, the 11-48 (I have a .410 with a custom tang safety, below) was nothing but a fancy Model 11 - both are of the same John Browning long recoil design.

The recoil control system has 3 pieces, all underneath the forearm wrapped around the magazine tube, a spring (the main recoil spring), a thin steel ring with an internal bevel, and a bronze friction ring wrapped by a flat steel spring band).
Not the case in the 28GA I just picked up, it's is not the same as a Mod 11 from what I see.. it's similar but more advanced.. Only two pieces in the recoil system, not three.. and nothing get moved for light or heavy loads.. here is the pics.. B2B

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 11-48 16 ga. My friends all like shooting my 12 gauge 870 police better because of the kick of the 11-48. But I like my 11-48. It was my granddads but he never shot it. I received it new in box. Maybe i shouldn't have shot it but I shoot it often. I haven't done anything to it. Looks like I better take it apart and clean and lightly oil it. And about all I can find is full power 16 ga loads so I'll have to make sure it's set it up correctly.

Thanks for the info.
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts