Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a Remington 1100 Special Purpose for a LONG time. It has sported a 7-round mag extension tube and side-saddle carrier since within weeks of purchasing it brand new.

This is the model with a fully rifled barrel and rifle sights. It is the single most natural long gun I own when it comes to pointing. I can literally shoulder in with my eyes closed and the rifle sights will be dead-on in alignment when I open my eyes.

Well, I've been wanting to make this shotgun more utilitarian, so I just purchased a 22" vent-rib Rem-Choke barrel for it and mounted a fiber-optic in front of the bead. It's gonna be great!

So I go to install the new barrel tonight. When I take off my rifled barrel another part falls out! It looks as if this part has been broken for quite some time, and there are scratches on the bottom of the barrel and gouges in the receiver where this piece of spring steel has been shoved against things during who knows how many rounds since the barrel was last removed.

Interestingly, I had never tried shooting this gun with low-base shells before. As a rifled barrel, all it saw were slugs, of course. But I wanted to do some patterning with shot out of curiosity. It wouldn't cycle. I thought that was weird, but some research led me to believe that perhaps the slug barrels had smaller gas ports to better cycle with slugs, sacrificing reliability with low-base stuff. So, I didn't give it another thought.

Now, I'm wondering if this broken piece also had something to do with it.

Is this something I can do myself? I'm pretty savvy and love to learn how to gunsmith anything myself, even if I need an excuse to buy another specialty tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
Fore end support. It just springs over the rails. Pop one off, pop one on. Part #91658 - $5.85. You should be able to change it, and you need to download an owner's manual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts