Shooters Forum banner

Remington 1148 barrel proof mark

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  aus1 
#1 ·
I own a Remington 11 48 shotgun, which is an heirloom that I am recently paying more attention as it fits me well for hunting and clay shooting purposes. While checking at the barrel proof marks I found a heart figure. I would appreciate if anyone could give me information about what this proof mark does indicate.

#3 ·
It means they fired a proof round thru it. The U.S. Gov't does not require proofing, unlike many European countries, so all we can deduce is that Remington, or any other manufacturer, did what they figured would suffice with SAAMI specs. I do not know that is a proof mark. It may just be an inspector's stamp. The only proof marks I recall are REM or REP in an oval, but there may be others.

#7 ·
The first person to PM me with their address will receive a copy of NOTES ON THE PROOF OF SHOTGUNS AND OTHER SMALL ARMS, issued by The Birmingham Proof House. This is the 1993 issue and is in as new condition. An interesting little book and with my compliments.
It covers other European countries as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.