Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington 141 I just got a Remington 141 in ,35rem. Is this a weaker action than the marlin 336? Can I use the reloading data in the manuals for the marlin 336? Thanks in advance,Art

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
As far as I know, there isn't any hot-load .35rem. data in reloading manuals...may be some web-based data, but I'd avoid it (in fact...I try to avoid all data, manual or not, that isn't pressure tested). There were some strong bolt actions made in .35rem. and some XP100 pistols...and the data specific to those should be avoided for the old Remington.

In other words, the standard pressure level for this round hasn't changed over the years...if the gun is in good shape, it should work with the loads listed as being within set limits.

Like the Rem. 141's (and earlier 14's) and have used them in .30Rem., .25Rem., and a .35Rem. for a short time. Had no trouble with data from Hornady or Sierra (avoided the old Speer data...it may be good, it may not, but I've not used it).

Would suggest that you NOT dry fire the old gun. Not that is has a special weakness, but finding a new firing pin (or fixing the existing one) is NO FUN AT ALL.
---------
Good buy...these guns are great hunting rifle.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
The data in the old Speer manuals, like my #7, is away too hot. Some folks think that the old Remington actions are a bit soft, rather than weak. So stay with the old standard load of 36.0 grains of 3031 and a 200 grain Core-Lokt, rather than IMR's max of 37.5 grains. Both Hornady and Sierra say 36.0 grains is max.

There's quite a bit here on .35 Remington bullets.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5388

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
510 Posts
Jack,what about IMR 4895 for the .35? I've been shooting 38.5 grs behind Rem. 200 core-lokt through my Model 14(ser.# 115XXX)and have not seen any signs of pressure problems. It is a very accurate load, cases eject easily, and look perfect. Do you think that this load is too hot for the 14? The gun is in excellent condition. It does not appear to have been used much; it was probably never taken down, either.
Thanks, Mike:D

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Mike:
I'm just passing on what some others have posted about the old Remingtons. I can't find the post about them and I think it was lost in a crash last year. There's a couple of things to consider here. The .35 Remington is such a low pressure round, at 35,000 CUP and 33,500 psi, that the usual pressure signs like primer flattening don't apply. Marlins do get a bit stiff if the load's hot, but I don't know if Remingtons do.

New IMR powders are faster than the old DuPont powders, and while your load is under max in Hornady #3, and right at max in DuPont's 1966 guide, it's 2.0 grains over in IMR's latest data.
http://www.imrpowder.com/rifle/35r_1_data.html

Expro seems to have production problems lately, what with PB and 7625 being unavailable for last summer's trap season. Their receivership the year before probably didn't help either. Someone mentioned here recently that 4320 is now faster than 4064, which garbages my old .303 loads.

A little more digging finds the 36.5 max with 4895 in their 1989 guide. Anyhow, I'd be inclinded to go easy on that old girl, unless somebody like Mr. Gates or Mr. Harris says it's OK to push it.

I'm typing this without my trifocals, so I think I had better quit now. I hope I've helped you a bit.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
510 Posts
Hi Jack,
I'm taking your advice and dropping the .35 loads to 36 grs 4895. That should be a safe load for the 14 Rem. You are also correct that the modern powders burning faster than the old ones of the same number. Using older handbooks as criteria for handloading can court disaster. Although I've not had a problem with any loads of my own making, older rifles cannot stand up to continued use of hotter than needed rounds. Thanks, again.
Mike:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info gentilemen. I've been trying to shoot .357 158 gr. jhp's at non max pressures (woodchuck loads) , but haven't gotten much accuacy yet.Oh well, the experimenting is fun. Thanks, Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts