Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came home with Remingtons new entry.
I love my 1911s, got some Paras and even a Terry Tussy that I lucked into.
This new Remington 1911 is very accurate. It looks like all the rest, but it has a good trigger and groups well. Comes with 2 - 7 rd clips.
Its on their web site.
Good Luck

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,402 Posts
You need some mesquite stocks on it!!!! ;)

·
Banned
377 Posts
Hadn't seen this. I wonder how it would compare in quality to my 1943 Remington Rand. These days you don't know if Remington actually made it. A friend bought a Wichester Wildcat .22 rifle. It's made in Russia.

P.S. My Remington Rand 1911A1 is in original condition and museum quality. I got it, including the brown leather shoulder/chest holster, from the guy it was originally issued to, a WWII B-25 pilot before he passed. I also got several boxes of steel cased 45 shotshells that were packed in the B-25 survival kits. It's the jewel of my collection.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew Rem use to make these.
Don't know how this one compares. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could through about 20 rounds and got no jams, then shot for accuracy and it did very well.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Don't know how this one compares. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could through about 20 rounds and got no jams, then shot for accuracy and it did very well.[/QUOTE

Looked at the website, says made in Ilion, NY for E-PRC LLC and marketed by same. It looks pretty good with modern updates from the original. I do like the fact it has no front slide surrations. I prefer a "slick slide", none of those ugly grooves. I know some like to rack the slide from the muzzle end, but gun safety rules say keep your hand away from the muzzle of a loaded weapon. Have a friend who recently lost a large part of his hand after racking the slide on a Glock with his finger on the trigger. AND HE IS A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WITH 16 YEARS ON THE JOB!

·
Super Moderator
13,747 Posts
Lapsed on rules 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Bad mojo. Sorry to hear that happened.

I'm glad to hear there is yet another 1911 out there with a decent trigger right out of the box. Twenty years ago you couldn't get one without paying for custom work. As to accuracy, I think it should be an inevitable outcome of the increasing use of CNC machining that mechanical precision tends to improve over time. In theory, at least, it should be possible to combine CNC and statistical quality control to achieve very tight hand scraped fit precision.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Don't know how this one compares. I pulled the trigger as fast as I could through about 20 rounds and got no jams, then shot for accuracy and it did very well.
Remington has never made a 1911 before. Remington Rand was a typewriter company and is not a progenitor of Remington Firearms Company.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
I for one will be interested in a range report after you've ran her thru her paces.;)

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I for one will be interested in a range report after you've ran her thru her paces.;)
Well, my 10 shot groups at the end were 3 1/2" at 10 yards. That's as good as I can shoot any pistol. I have always found the 1911s to be very forgiving with different grip positions and trigger holds. I think that's why I like them, even the wart hogs that are built on a 1911 type platform.
I have that Tussy built on the Caspian frame and can shoot it no better than this one.I moved the rear site over and got it shooting dead on target.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Thanks tom;

the one i held about 3 weeks ago just felt right. no ambi safety is a slight drawback to me being lefty, but it won't be a carry gun...that's what the commander is for.

now that I've sold the garand, I've promised my daughter a new kayak, and the rest goes back to the gun fund....i have a candidate!:p

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks tom;

the one i held about 3 weeks ago just felt right. no ambi safety is a slight drawback to me being lefty, but it won't be a carry gun...that's what the commander is for.

now that I've sold the garand, I've promised my daughter a new kayak, and the rest goes back to the gun fund....i have a candidate!:p
The things we have to do to "rat hole" money for a new gun!

·
Banned
377 Posts
Well, my 10 shot groups at the end were 3 1/2" at 10 yards. That's as good as I can shoot any pistol. I have always found the 1911s to be very forgiving with different grip positions and trigger holds. I think that's why I like them, even the wart hogs that are built on a 1911 type platform.
I have that Tussy built on the Caspian frame and can shoot it no better than this one.I moved the rear site over and got it shooting dead on target.
3.5 inches at 10 yards may not be OK for match shooting but it will do in a combat situation. We don't practice at 21 and 45 feet for no good reason.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Thanks for the article. I'm gonna have to get me one of them!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Colt has never made anything at Ilion, only East Hartford, CT. Remington has made shotguns and rifles at Ilion for many decades. They might have bought some machinery from Colt, but I doubt even that, considering the fools running Colt into the ground right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts