Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I 've just purchased two remington .22 falling block rifles, & would appreciate any info you may be able to help me out with:confused:.
To set the record straight, I 've managed to pick up a couple of rifles & a shotgun from a collector here in AUS & the reason i'm wanting info, is because i'm not up to speed on older rifles!One rifle is refered to as an "American Boy Scout", with full wood & a serial number of 3035.
The other rifle is refered to as a "cadet military model" with no serial nimber showing at all.:(

The fellow I purchased them from told me - the "cadet" was made for the south african market & approx 600 were made & he arranged purchase through Remington from south africa, about 30 yrs ago.
I am not sure that this indeed the case, although I'd be disinclined to call this bloke B.S.er.:confused:
Anyway I'll hand over to the professionals here & await a reply.
Cheers Dave.:)

·
Premium Member
14,536 Posts
I don't know of any Remington "Falling Block" rifles except the Hepburn. They did make many thousands of Rolling Block actions in calibers from 22 Rim Fire to 577 Snider.

The Cadet sounds like a Martini .310 made for the Australian market but some pictures would tell for sure.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Welcome to the forum !

Look on the bottom of the barrel for the Remington SN.

Falling block actions have a breechblock that moves vertically in/out of battery, typically via a cam/link, and are not pivoted or have an axle.

Swinging block actions have a breechblock that drop in/out of battery via a pivot located ahead of the rear of the chamber/barrel.

Rolling block actions have a breechblock that rolls around an axle, in/out of battery.

The Remington American #4-S Boy Scout .22 (1913-1923) is a very rare version of the Remington#4 (small action) rolling block.

The Remington #4 Rolling Block Cadet model .22 is also rare, and is similar to the Boy Scout model #4, but pre-dates it (1911-1912).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On their website, Remington has what they've labelled as a falling block .22, but is in reality a swinging block action - the Model 6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rangr44,
thanks for the photos, the boy scout looks right, pity no photo of cadet, the model 6 looks very much like one of the rifles that I have, the original owner refers to it as a trapper model.
Will send good photos asap.
thanks Dave.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When I was a kid in the late 1950s, a mate of mine loaned me a remington rolling block in 22 lr, I have to be honest I had no licence for it so not really legal in the UK.
Ammo was difficult to come by but I had a few hundred ici bullets scrounged from a friends' father.
The chap who loaned me it committed suicide so I couldn't return it.
The sights, iirc were a brass bead on the barrel and a notch in the hammer.
It accounted for quite a few rabbits, squirrels and crows.
One day mate and I were out after squirrels when I fired there was a very loud bang and my thumb started pumping out blood. The extractor had broken off and I hadn't noticed, a bit of brass cartridge case sliced through the end of my thumb and lodged under the nail. The pain didn't start until my mate tried to remove the brass with a knife, he got it (and much blood) out eventually.
My friend volunteered his brother to make a new extractor for it and he took it away with him. That was 1962, I haven't seen the gun since, and I don't want to now!
I don't remember too much about the gun, except it had a redwood stock, you know, dyed red. I think it was made in the late 1800s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts