Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this 25-20 given to me by my grandpa...many years ago....its a remington model 25. pump 25-20.....in excellent condition. the serial number is 6485. seems every place i check on the internet wants to sell me a freakin book......i dont want a freakin book......i want to know what its worth.:mad:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Go to sites like Gunbroker and Auction Arms. Search completed auctions, and see what the price range is on similar rifles that have actually sold.

But be aware -- the only honest answer to "How much...?" is, "whatever price it brings in a sale between a willing seller and a willing buyer", and also be aware that a rifle that might bring big bucks in one market might bring comparatively very little in another.

·
Registered
676 Posts
$500 and up if its in real nice condition. Mine is a single shot valued at $200 good shooter, nice and accurate out to 30 yards, haven't tried it past that yet but its old been used heavy and shows it. Great Grandpa used to poach...er I mean hunt deer with it. I have seen some for over $2K but they were in pristine condition. I love it but ammo is a bit much for it and I don't shoot it enough to justify dies but may end up doing so anyway just because of what it cost me for the last 2 boxes of ammo.

As for Great Grandpa this was in the depression and he used to buy his bullets one at a time, things were tight.

·
Registered
445 Posts
i have this 25-20 given to me by my grandpa...many years ago....its a remington model 25. pump 25-20.....in excellent condition. the serial number is 6485. seems every place i check on the internet wants to sell me a freakin book......i dont want a freakin book......i want to know what its worth.:mad:
I have owned quite a few of these and am always in the market for another. Their prices start at @$400 and go up to @$700. You will see them trying to get more for them on the net however there is seldom a bid over $700. Can you post a photo, as condition is THE determining factor.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics

I have owned quite a few of these and am always in the market for another. Their prices start at @$400 and go up to @$700. You will see them trying to get more for them on the net however there is seldom a bid over $700. Can you post a photo, as condition is THE determining factor.
i am not permitted to post attachments

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
You can use a host like Photobucket, at least until you have 25 posts here and can attach via the forum software.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
That looks like a really cool old gun, but next time maybe set it on a background that isn't quite so "busy"...really takes away from the picture. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yours is a rifle version and not a carbine. It looks original though photos arent detailed enough to get a good look. If original it would go on the higher end of the estimates if the bore is good.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
only thing not original is the rear sight ramp......i made one for it. the bore appears flawless with my borescope. i have shot a half a box of shells thru it......it seems very accurate at 50 yds.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
clean gun.....very nice!!! like i said....mine was missing the rear ramp.....its as good as yours condition wise. some guy offered me 200.00 for it......i laughed him. iit was my grandads gun. very tip top shape.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I believe the world record whitetail was brought down with a 25-20 way back when. Took several shots and some trailing but it did him in.

Paid 600 for mine and couldn't get the money out fast enough! The only blue missing is a bit on the slide and the wood is immaculate....no dents or scratches. It was a safe queen all its life and was made in 1923 I think....have to go back to my records to see.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i dont comprehend the data or the method described here for the codes on numbers....my number is on the bottom of the reciever.....and for the likes of me.....i havent seen one on the LEFT SIDE OF THE BARREL AS STATED HERE. my numbers are as follows....AA645X. only 4 digits in mine. i didnt give the last digit as i was told not to. i sure would like a more detailed description of when it was made.....and the value of it. no blue is missing on mine at all. it has some dents in the stock,,,,,and the slide. no cracks at all in the wood. better shape than most new guns i have bought from a store. i keep her in a sock all the time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Based on your serial bet its first year of 1923. Mine is in the 11xxx range and was made in 1924. It has a CR stamped on the left side of the barrel near the bottom. You may need a magnifier to see it if you have poor eyes like me. The first letter is month and second is year. The AA over the serial means nothing except denoting size of the action.

See http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/barrelcodes

As for worth, I'd insure for a thousand without seeing it in detail. Value on the gunshow floor much less. A person wanting a shooter doesn't want a pristine rifle unless its a REAL bargain. A collector wants the rarest types like carbines with factory options. Ours doesn't fill the bill. So if you want to sell it do some research on gunbroker, etc. But don't expect people to storm your door....this is a very narrow collector niche. If the 25 had a hammer we'ed be floating in gold!:D

·
Banned
415 Posts
I believe the world record whitetail was brought down with a 25-20 way back when. Took several shots and some trailing but it did him in.

Paid 600 for mine and couldn't get the money out fast enough! The only blue missing is a bit on the slide and the wood is immaculate....no dents or scratches. It was a safe queen all its life and was made in 1923 I think....have to go back to my records to see.
James Jordan Buck, 1914. 206 1/8" Typical. Approximated at 400 pounds live weight. There's a really neat story to it as well, worth the read. James Jordan didn't see his buck for 50 years after he sent it to the taxidermist.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts