Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would update my posting regarding my Remington M700 MLR Police rifle in .338 Lapua. After sending it back to Remington and after Remington found it after having misplaced it, it is in worse condition than before I sent it back to them to have it repaired. Remington said they lapped the bore, trued the action and lapped the lugs. They returned it with a target that I would be embarassed to show anyone (2.5 inches at 100 yards). I cleaned the bore and re mounted the scope. I inserted the bolt and it wouldn't move smoothly and it was very tight closing the bolt. I attempted to remove the bolt but it wouldn't come out of the action. I loosened the stock screws and the bolt moved freely and came out without a problem. I took the rifle to a highly respected target rifle builder and they told me the bolt was bent and the action was not bedded properly and the bore and chamber were in terrible condition. They quoted me a price over double what the M700 was new to correct the problems and said they couldn't guarantee the accuracy beyond 1 inch at 100 yards.
I have decided to rid my life of the piece of junk and to never waste my money on any Remington unless I have proof that it shoots well.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Kudu40

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid to do that after the attitude I got from them the first time. I was told that a 5 inch group at 100 yards was acceptable for a Police sniper rifle, I had an almost impossible time getting anyone to pretend to be interested (I had to get someone from their corporate headquarters in the Carolinas to pull rank), they had it for over a year and lost it. They insisted they shipped it back to me via UPS but couldn't give me a tracking number and didn't seem to care that it was missing.

Kudu40

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So how much you want for it? Always looking for a project.

P,S, I haven't had much luck with Remingtons service either.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I just thought I would update my posting regarding my Remington M700 MLR Police rifle in .338 Lapua. After sending it back to Remington and after Remington found it after having misplaced it, it is in worse condition than before I sent it back to them to have it repaired. Remington said they lapped the bore, trued the action and lapped the lugs. They returned it with a target that I would be embarassed to show anyone (2.5 inches at 100 yards). I cleaned the bore and re mounted the scope. I inserted the bolt and it wouldn't move smoothly and it was very tight closing the bolt. I attempted to remove the bolt but it wouldn't come out of the action. I loosened the stock screws and the bolt moved freely and came out without a problem. I took the rifle to a highly respected target rifle builder and they told me the bolt was bent and the action was not bedded properly and the bore and chamber were in terrible condition. They quoted me a price over double what the M700 was new to correct the problems and said they couldn't guarantee the accuracy beyond 1 inch at 100 yards.
I have decided to rid my life of the piece of junk and to never waste my money on any Remington unless I have proof that it shoots well.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Kudu40

That is terrible the way you were treated. I certainly understand how you feel. I have a 338 Lapua that is built on a Rem-700 action by Defensive Edge (Shawn Carlock) and it will shot in the .2's (MOA)
5 inches at 100 yards for a "Sniper Rifle" is totaly unacceptable IMHO. I do not have a lot of faith in factory rifles shooting well across the board and that is why I would rather have a top "smith" build me one if I want it to shoot extremely well. Yes it does cost more, but so far I have always been satisfied with the results

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,027 Posts
Maybe you should find the name of someone in corporate that would respond to such and send a detailed letter of your concerns and give them the chance to correct the deficiencies.

·
Registered
620 Posts
No reason in the world that you should take the hit in your pocket book for that. I would call them back and let them know that they WILL be dealing with it one way or the other. Don't take no for an answer.

Reactions: SMK-1000plus

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't let Remington put any sort of fear into you!!!!!!!! When you contact them, send a link to this post! People around the world (I'm in Australia!!!!) are reading this, and I'll be blowed if any of them will be impressed with how Remington have treated you. I was about to buy a Remington recently, and bought another Winchester Model 70 instead. Glad I changed my mind now.

As for 5" at 100 yards!!!!!! Whoever said that needs to be subjected to a drug test immediately!!!!! I would never want them building a rifle for anyone, let alone my self.

Reactions: SMK-1000plus

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I remember you posted this earlier
<TABLE class=tborder id=post519800 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>08-09-2010, 05:30 AM <!-- / status icon and date -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>kudu40
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_519800", true); </SCRIPT>
Beartooth Regular

</TD><TD width="100%"></TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Nov 2005

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_519800><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- message -->Good luck with getting Remington to do anything with it. I recently bought a Remington M700 MLR Police sniper rifle. It wouldn't shoot worth a darn, so I took it to 2 world known rifle builders and had them take a look at it. They both told me the barrel was not finished properly. I contacted Remington and couldn't get anyone to show any interest in correcting the problem. I had a friend in the industry call one of the head honchos at Remington and he finally got action. I delivered it to their Ilion NY plant and waited months; and months; and months. No one contacted me, so I called them. They told me they fixed the problem and shipped the rifle via UPS to me a few months ago. I asked for the UPS tracking number and they couldn't find it. I contacted UPS and they had no record of delivering it to me. I raised some he-- with a supervisor and after a few days they found the rifle. I got it back, mounted a Leupold MkIV scope on it and it still wont shoot. I have 7 M700's that shoot great (all sporters), the one "long range sniper rifle" I buy from them won't shoot 4 inches at 100 Yds. and they say that that is acceptable.
As I said before; good luck!

Kudu40

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I love the Reminton 700 and use their actions in most all my rifles, but I don't use Reminton barrels. Even though I'm very fond of their actions, when you buy their rifle, I've always said it was a crap shoot on whether you got a good shooter or not. It does not cost that much more to buy a used one with the action you want, send it to a good builder and have them accurize and rebarrel it to what you want. I think I have 11 different ones and they all shoot 1/2" or smaller groups. I've had two new ones, a 222 that wouldn't hit near the same place twice and a 6mm that shoots bug holes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A friend recently bought a brand new Remington 700 SPS in 7MM Rem. mag. I helped him mount a scope on the rifle so had a chance to handle it. What a cheap piece of $h*t. The bolt is sloppy and rough in the receiver and I'm not too sure if I would put a stock like that on a BB gun. Obviously, they just slap recoil pads on stocks these days and never mind if it fits or not. It seems that the further we advance in manufacturing technology, the sloppier we get. We haven't shot the rifle yet but judging from the appearance of things, I guess we shouldn't expect too much.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Now FaceBook is a great idea! It's worth the effort to save our mates from learning the hard way, what some of you guys have unfortunately learnt the hard way from personal experience previously. I can't believe that a once reputable company like Remington would idly sit by, and watch the image of their company explode on the internet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sucks that you had to deal with this problem from them. Lots of good advice on here but the biggest one is that Help in a production rifle in .338 Lapua is on the way. Savage announced not long ago that it would be building one on the 110 LA with heavy barrel and Accustock/trigger guns.

I hate to say this but, if you're going to sell that Remington, I hope that you are going to fully disclosure of the issues you've had with it and a Caveat Emptor statement. I'd send it back to them one more time and give them the option of replacing the firearms, giving you a check for the purchase price or having someone you trust repair it on their dime. I certainly wouldn't take no for an answer.

5" at a 100yds is pretty darn inaccurate, that's about as surgical as a sawed off shotgun at that range.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I only have 3 Rem 700s. The first 2 that I bought were very accurate -- a 22-250, and a 338 RUM.

Based on that experience, about 2 years ago I bought a new 700 in 243 Win and had terrible accuracy with various reloads and even factory ammo. It would not group better than 4 inches at 100 yars.

I had checked the screws etc. and even mounted a new Leupold 3x9 scope and no change in the accuracy. I complained to Remington and they said that 4 inches met factory specifications and would not work on the gun.

Then one night I was "playing" with the gun and noticed that when I held the stock and put side way pressure on the barrel and action, I could "feel" the action perceptibally moving side-to-side in the stock -- even with the screws tightened.

At that point, I took it apart and free floated the barrel and did a complete glass re-bed of the action. It put it back together and finally got it shoot under 1 inch. At that point I swore off buying any more Rem 700s.

Barstool(er)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I only have 3 Rem 700s. The first 2 that I bought were very accurate -- a 22-250, and a 338 RUM.

Based on that experience, about 2 years ago I bought a new 700 in 243 Win and had terrible accuracy with various reloads and even factory ammo. It would not group better than 4 inches at 100 yars.

I had checked the screws etc. and even mounted a new Leupold 3x9 scope and no change in the accuracy. I complained to Remington and they said that 4 inches met factory specifications and would not work on the gun.

Then one night I was "playing" with the gun and noticed that when I held the stock and put side way pressure on the barrel and action, I could "feel" the action perceptibally moving side-to-side in the stock -- even with the screws tightened.

At that point, I took it apart and free floated the barrel and did a complete glass re-bed of the action. It put it back together and finally got it shoot under 1 inch. At that point I swore off buying any more Rem 700s.

Barstool(er)

IMHO if one does not have to bed or otherwise tune a factory rifle to get its best accuracy then consider yourself lucky

·
Registered
4 Posts
338 remington not a lupa

hi my 338 mag was the first stainless Remington put out and it's a one holier 700 yards moose down not a problem deadly accurate 26 inch barrel 3.5x9 leapold silver mate gold ring . the only problem is dirt in side the bolt for dust you better clean it it almost cost me a grizzly attack.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
There is simply NO EXCUSE for your rifle to have been returned to you in that kind of a condition! I have a rifle, model 70 that I put together with the help of a good gunsmith, a .338/.300Ultra EDGE. It will shoot under .600-MOA come rain or shine from the bench at 100 yards.

I would certainly speak to the top person at Remington and explain the results you have received in your rifle. If this does not do any good, you tell him, that it would be very easy for YOU, to let the world know how Remington treated you and the very poor workmanship of this rifle.

DO NOT let them get away with dusting you off in such a manner!!! You paid hard earn money for this rifle and it sure as "dinner bells" ought to shoot at least 1-MOA from the bench. You just get TUFF with those people and demand satisfaction. I would also construct a letter to send to Remingtons TOP DOG and keep a copy for yourself and lawyer later. This is just in case you might need for him to make a call to Remington for you.:cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts