Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered one from Remington's Custom Shop with a 26"bbl and muzzle brake. Looking for comments from anyone who has expeience with or owns (ed) one. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Let me know if you ever go to a public shooting range down in the SouthEast so I can not go that day. That's my only experience with one of those ;)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
It is a great cartridge, especially for a handloader. Because you might not always need the full house loads. That muzzle brake is going to make you learn what ear plugs are all about ! All the RUM family has a tremendous muzzle blast, and with a muzzle brake, it will be LOUD. Don't be surprised if people at the range leave because you are there, or move down a few lanes. Just try to be respectful of others if you take it to the range.

It has awesome power, and will push 250gr bullets upwards of 3000 fps. I think you have made a great choice. I just hope this isn't your first big game rifle. I myself have a .300 RUM Sendero and love it. I hope to have it rebarreled to .338 RUM or Edge.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Powerful cartridge indeed. i have had muzzle brakes and magnum rifles with out them. I prefer not to use them. I do not have one coming on my 340Wby and I am not sensitive to recoil but the 340Wby is on the edge of reasonable recoil. I hope you have a ball with it. It sure will knock the game down and put them down hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.338 remington Ultra Mag

Thanks to those of you who commented. I am not sensitive to recoil or loud noises. I've had a 300 Weatherby Magnum, A 444 and a 375 H&H. None was the right fit. I'm hoping the Ultr Mag is.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
If you arent sensitive to recoil, you would have been better leaving the brake off. Having to take time to put in ear plugs while hunting can be a drag.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Thanks to those of you who commented. I am not sensitive to recoil or loud noises. I've had a 300 Weatherby Magnum, A 444 and a 375 H&H. None was the right fit. I'm hoping the Ultr Mag is.
You may not be sensitive to recoil, but loud noises will make you deaf. Period.

You cannot be "insensitive" to noise so loud it destroys your hearing. Shooting the braked UltraMag without hearing protection will do permanent damage every time. It will also damage the unprotected hearing of anyone near you at the range, or with you when you are hunting.

Please consider that carefully.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
You have made a great choice, in a monster cartridge. But as Sask said, be thoughtful of others when shooting with the brake on.

No one here is knocking your choices. Infact, I have a fondness for the .338 bore size myself. Welcome to the forums, you will find lots of great info here. Are you going to be handloading for it or shooting factory ammo ?

The 225gr Accubond, is tough bullet, and a great choice for such a powerful chambering. Nosler's 6th edition manual says you can get 3227 fps from a 26" barrel with 98gr of RL25 (max load ofcourse). The 250gr Partition can be pushed to 2990fps with 91gr of RL25. RL25 is a great choice for the 338 RUM by the way.

Federal offers the 225gr Accubond in factory ammo, at 3020fps http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=320

They also offer the 210gr Partition at 3050 http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=319

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gentlemen, I appreciate your input. Having had a bad experience at at the range with someone who wasn't considerate has made me very aware of the effect big bores with brakes can have on my fellow shooters. Yes, I have proper ear protection so thanks for mentioning that. My cartridge of choice is a 225 gr Nosler Accubond by Conley Precision. My scope of choice is the Nightforce NSX 2.5 X 10-32. May will be the first field test as I'll be going for bear in Maine.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Gentlemen, I appreciate your input. Having had a bad experience at at the range with someone who wasn't considerate has made me very aware of the effect big bores with brakes can have on my fellow shooters. Yes, I have proper ear protection so thanks for mentioning that. My cartridge of choice is a 225 gr Nosler Accubond by Conley Precision. My scope of choice is the Nightforce NSX 2.5 X 10-32. May will be the first field test as I'll be going for bear in Maine.
Good equipment and great plan. I hope you get a good black bear and the 225gr Accubond will be more than enough for the task at hand. :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have the same rifle you have ordered, without the brake. I used it for hunting elk. it does the job. take the factory recoil pad off and throw it away. put a LimbSaver on it. the trigger will be way too heavy stock. it adjusts down nicely. the barrel channel will need to be relieved a tad to float the barrel.

very nice cartridge to reload. I'm shooting a Hornaday 200 gr. Spire Point @ 3100 ftsnds (chronographed) and thats a DOWNLOAD. it will push this bullet over 3250 with ease. Everything I've hit with this load has been Dead Right There. They do NOT walk away from this. other than the recoil, you're gonna LOVE it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts