Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened across a remington 40x the other day in a gun shop and it was the ugliest thing I ever saw. Mamoth barrel on it, huge ugly stock with some kind of rail on the bottom. Heavy as **** to hold.

Long story short I did a little research and went and bought it today. I told the guy how ugly it was and didnt think he would be able to sell it ever! Got it for 400 bucks. This thing is in mint condition. Stock looks brand new, Barrel has zero sign of wear. Bolt serial number matches the gun.

During my research of the gun I found an article that said the serial number will end with a B. (eg XXXXXXB) and no other letter. Mine ends in C. Does anyone know what the C means. This gun is obviously not a knock off and if it is I cant tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

UNV

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,874 Posts
Strange you should mention the 40-X.

Mine has ser #34xxxB, just as you say they should have.

Yup - mine also has the H-S Precision stock with hand rail, adjustable stock butt for length of pull/height of comb, hand stop, extended bolt handle, etc., etc.

Oh, yeah - it too, is heavier than He**!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strange you should mention the 40-X.

Mine has ser #34xxxB, just as you say they should have.

Yup - mine also has the H-S Precision stock with hand rail, adjustable stock butt for length of pull/height of comb, hand stop, extended bolt handle, etc., etc.

Oh, yeah - it too, is heavier than He**!
LOL. At least you know how I feel. I am hoping someone has the answer to my question, I sent remington an email to see what they can dig up.

I think I scored very well with this buy. Have seen these things sell for 10 times what I paid on some adds doing a google search. Thanks for checking your serial number.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Can't help you with the serial number, but I'll give you $500 for it. HAHA

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,874 Posts
Mine is a .308 Win.

·
Registered
144 Posts
kdub I bet that 40X in 308 is a great long distance steel shooter.

P.S. Yes, it was my browser that prevented "remember me" from working. Good call.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is a 308. Here are a couple crappy pics.

I found out about the letter C after my serial number from remington. Apparently it is just another letter they used instead of B for a few years. I think it is still an awsome find for 400 bucks and it is like new.

·
Registered
175 Posts
the 40-x is a custom 700 action im pretty sure. the fact that you got that for $400 is a great steal. I would not expect to pay less than $1000 for a 40-x. although it is an older model its still a custom action and is most likey made better, and i would have to guess its extreamly accurate. you got a great deal my friend

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 40-x is a custom 700 action im pretty sure. the fact that you got that for $400 is a great steal. I would not expect to pay less than $1000 for a 40-x. although it is an older model its still a custom action and is most likey made better, and i would have to guess its extreamly accurate. you got a great deal my friend
Thank you... I think the same thing. Everyone that has seen it so far says it looks brand new. I am very happy with the find

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thet were made in boyh A, B, C. Some where single shots, some repeaters for Hi-Power matches. You will see a cutout in the front top of the reciever, this is so it can be loaded wiyh a stripper clip, during rapid fire strings.Difference between b, c is also the lenght of bthe rail , and butt plate.You have a very accurate rifle, that comes from the custom shop only.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thet were made in boyh A, B, C. Some where single shots, some repeaters for Hi-Power matches. You will see a cutout in the front top of the reciever, this is so it can be loaded wiyh a stripper clip, during rapid fire strings.Difference between b, c is also the lenght of bthe rail , and butt plate.You have a very accurate rifle, that comes from the custom shop only.
Great information. Thank you very much. I have been having fun with it so far. Weather has turned for the worse here so I have been hunting lots now. I cant wait until spring so I can sit out on my range and see how this thing realy performs. Since it is very accurate I am thinking of putting a Burris eliminator scope on it for fun. I have one on my 300wsm that I had custom made and it works flawlessly at long range. I am no pro but down to 4" groups at 500 yards with it. I am having a really hard time getting use to the stock on the 40x. I am considering a different one but wife will lose it if I spend another 1000 on guns this year lol. She says 3 guns in a month is more then enough hahahaha. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The least you could'a done was put on a mask when you forked over your money! Be thankful YOU saw it FIRST! :D:D:D
LOL. For once I was at the right place at the right time. I am usually the guy going "what do you mean you had a _________ for sale, and you wanted how much????"

HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
834 Posts
UNVMY I know what ya mean about buying 3 guns a month.When California passed the 2 gun a month law I was spending all kinds of money trying to abide by buying 2 a month,Then I was told it was a limit of 2,not a requirement. But I was a Peace Officer and could buy more then 2 and then I was really spending money.Retired now so gun buying is kinda scarce on my budget,Great buy on the 40-X

·
Registered
88 Posts
At $400 you made out like a bandit. I've owned two of these over the years, a 40xr in 22lr that I could kick myself for selling and a 40xb in 222 that was a shooter but wieghed about 11 lbs and I like light rifles.
As far as the "b", "c". in the SN, the Rem M700 has that as well but it is in the beginning, I'm not sure about the 40x but in the 700 it indicates the series, or period of time that it was built. Example: My 700 Mountain rifle has the SN C62xxxxx and it was built in 1987. A "B" would indicate an earlier 700.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
I never heard of that rifle before this thread. It's a nice looking rifle....to my eye anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts