Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the late 70's, I was in ROTC in High School. I was a member of the Rifle Team and we used a Remington 40X as a match rifle. They had a aluminum butthook and a wooden palm rest and were .22 rimfire.

I loved that rifle and have many wonderful memories shooting it in matches against other High School ROTC units.

I'd love to get one of these for target shooting - sort of reliving my childhood, so to speak. I've seen some advertisements online for just the basic 40X and they were in excess of $1,000 - WITHOUT the hook and palm rest, and usually without the round type sights.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these wonderful rifles?

Thanks,

Steve

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,860 Posts
Steve - Check your PM's (upper right hand corner of this page. Click on the "Private Message" link.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Back in the late 70's, I was in ROTC in High School. I was a member of the Rifle Team and we used a Remington 40X as a match rifle. . . I'd love to get one of these for target shooting - sort of reliving my childhood, so to speak. . . Does anyone know where I can get one of these wonderful rifles?
Thanks, Steve
Steve,
The suggestion to check sites like www.rimfirecentral.com is a good place to locate your rifle. Just be aware that Remington 40Xs no longer carry a 1970s price tag. About five years or so back, the Civilian Marksmanship Program sold off most of the 40xs held by the military at some very reasonable prices but that source has since dried up. I believe new 40Xs are still being made by Remington but this would be special order at a hefty price. The advantage with a new one is Remington can set one up just as you described. Finally, check the auction houses as they come up for sale from time to time. It may take you a while to find the 40X that's right and you may have to settle on a "plain jane" version just to get one.

Interesting to note that your high school rifle was equipped with a hooked butt plate and palm rest. I, too, shot on my high school ROTC rifle team and we were issued Springfield M1922s, all military standard. In my area, hooked butt plates and palm rests were not allowed in our matches and that included personally owned rifles. Hope you locate your rifle.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
There's also a .22 LR heavy barrel 40X in standard configuration on GunBroker that looks pretty good in the photos. Auction #256923261 current bid $700 with 5 days 10 hours before sale. Could be fitted with hooked buttplate and palm rest if you so desire.

·
Registered
137 Posts
They are fine rifles.. I picked up a Heavy and standard barrel when CMP was selling them..a while back.. I think your stuck with Gunbroken or a classified section and expect to pay $800 and up... for them.. unless you can find one at a estate sale.. B2B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts