Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just received a Remington 550-1 that was my Grandfather's. It has not been cleaned in a while. I don't know anything about guns. I did find a pdf version of a manual from Remington on how to break down the rifle for cleaning it. I am stuck on the step were I unscrew the take down screw bushing so I can move the magazine tube. The screw will not turn at all for me. I don't want to damage the gun and I don't know if I need a special tool of just a straight screw driver. Would someone please give me some advise. If I need to take it to a gunsmith I will do that also.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The Takedown Screw Bushing should just unscrew, it is usually tight so that it won't back out when the Takedown Screw is loosened.

At the bottom of the Takedown Screw Bushing is the Magazine Screw, but I don't think it needs removed prior to the Takedown Screw Bushing.

~~~

This is not a user friendly gun to disassemble and assemble. Be careful of losing or damaging parts, your gunsmith can reassemble if needed.

Be very careful with the Sear Spring Case. Removing this part is easy, reassembly is not. Aligning the parts for reassembly can be difficult and damage to the Sear Spring and threads is common, especially the receiver threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opps

Thanks. Yea I will have to take it to a gunsmith. It will not shoot now. I was never able to get the internals out like the manual said. In the future after I get a gun smith to get the rifle working how do I keep the gun clean after cleaning?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I think the bolt removes fairly easy, I would do that, then clean the bore, and the bolt as an assembly. The rest I would brush with mineral spirits and let drip dry. Once the floating chamber and it's recess are cleaned you probably won't need to clean them much at all in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts