Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago my best friend and I both purchased 597 rifles. We both have had nothing but poor performance. If I can get a total of 4 shots out of a 10 round mag I'm happy.I've tried cleaning and different loads, but nothing makes these rifles cycle well. Any one else having problems with theirs?
Thanks
Nathan

·
Registered
720 Posts
597 Cycling Problem

nathanupnorth said:
About 2 years ago my best friend and I both purchased 597 rifles. We both have had nothing but poor performance. If I can get a total of 4 shots out of a 10 round mag I'm happy.I've tried cleaning and different loads, but nothing makes these rifles cycle well. Any one else having problems with theirs?
Thanks
Nathan

Hi Nathan,

I noticed that you are new to the board. I would like to join my fellow members in welcoming you to the club.

I have a Ruger 10/22 that has never failed to cycle any American made 22 long rifle ammunition. However, last year a friend gave me two boxes of Eley brand (made in England circa 1980) standard velocity ammo because it kept jamming in his Marlin model 60 semi-automatic rifle. Well, my 10/22 would not cycle it either. It may have been a bad production lot.

Are you and your friend using the same brand of ammo and have you tried different brands?

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi nitro,
Thanks for the wlcome. Yes, I have tried every different kind of 22 ammo I can buy locally.And none of them cycle properly. Unfortunately, this model was my friends first and only gun, and I think it has kinda spoiled his opinion of firearms. Can't say I blame him either. Although, he still likes shooting my superblackhawk and my old stevens 12 gauge.
I was thinking of selling it , but I do not want to "stick" anyone else with it. So I guess I'm going to throw it into the back of the safe and buy a 10/22. I just hate having a $150 nonfunctioning rifle.
Nathan

·
Registered
720 Posts
Remington 597

Nathan,

My brother has a 597 and has never indicated experiencing any cycling problems. Tomorrow (Saturday) morning I will call him and see if he can shed any light on the subject.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mike,
Ive tried 8 different magazines. Although as of late I have been thingking about cutting some of th plastic top rail so the shell gets out of the mag quiker.
Thanks for the info on the 44 shells as well, I woill pick up some castcore and try those.
thanks again.
Nathan

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Nathan,
don't think that buying a 10/22 is the magic bullet, I've got a stainless 10/22 that is a jam-a-matic. It's one of the latest in a line of recent Ruger firearms that have been a dissapointment to me.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Nathanupnorth,
The last two Ruger semi autos I've purchased, the previously mentioned stainless 10/22, and my wifes 22/45 have both been major league POS's. Jam-O-Matic. After my experience with the 10/22, I corrected the problems with the 22/45 myself through aftermarket parts (extractor) and some judicious polishing. It seems as though Ruger can't produce a stainless firearm that functions at their current pricing level.. My .41 Blackhawk Hunter, especially in light of the fact that it is a limited run revolver with a premium price, also has surface finsih that I would equate with what comes out of the backside of a horse. It does shoot straight, and it does function, but the finish is sh*tty (Could I buy a "I" Vanna) and the scope rings provided with it preclude the use of over half the handgun scopes available. I know they don't cost a lot, so I should expect it, but I've had great guns from Ruger in the past and had the expectation that it would continue to be that way. I guess I was wrong.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,566 Posts
Fascinating - all of my stainless Ruger autos run great. 10/22, 22/45, P89 that I sold a while back, and a P90 that will feed an empty case. I guess you never know - must have gotten some monday-morning guns.

My 10/22 in particular will cycle ammo as fast as you can pull the trigger, and that's pretty darn fast. Only problem I ever had was with an aftermarket hi-cap mag (shells were jamming INSIDE the mag, not even making it to the feed lips).

I don't think that my 22/45 has ever jammed. With anything.

·
Banned
396 Posts
22 Caliber Magazines

Nathan, sometimes you gotta' load a rifle magazine very carefully to get it to function correctly. After every few cartridges are loaded, tap the back end of the magazine against the heel of your hand or something pretty solid. If you hear the cartridges 'click' as they're driven back against the rear of the magazine, it's a clue some of them did not load perfectly into the magazine.

I do this with ALL removable magazine fed firearms - handguns as well as auto rifles, etc. It's one of the first things the Military teaches you about loading a magazine.

I much prefer tubular magazine fed 22s. Maybe it's just me, but I have two very old Winchester Mod. 74s that are tack drivers of the first magnatude and they never fail to feed & fire (.22LR Only). Another old tack driving tube fed Winchester Mod 290 feeds & functions on everything in .22 cal - Shorts, Long, Long Rifle.

USED .22s are often a real bargain if you can find'em in nice shape from an honest dealer that guarantees a fair return policy.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Gowge,
Yes I do that with all mags as well. I used to hunt with a marlin tube mag when I was lttle, It was my uncles. Never had a problem with it. I heard goos and bad about the 10/22.
I'm kinda thinking about going back to the tubular.Lost the bolt fot my single shot 22 when I moved-still looking for replacement plinker.
Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have two 597s,( a discount store special and a target model) and both have functioned flawlessly and with great accuracy- - except for a period of about two weeks. Both guns jammed and stove piped ammo because of a clip. If you have a plastic clip, discard it and purchase the metal version. The plastic clips did not work and are no longer made. It is also possible to cause a functioning problem if you tighten the screws that retain the spring rods,(bolt guide rails) in the action too much. Be sure that you check the bolt/action for free functioning after you reassemble post cleaning. As with all autoloaders, don't gum up the action with too much WD-40 or gun oil. You might try a dry lube if you think this is the problem.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
1 Posts
I think Remington may have refined the 597 a bit since it's release.. I have a Basic model 597 got it from wal-mart yesterday for my wife.. shoots exceptionally well, had 2 jams out of the first magazine, and that was the end of it.. fired 200 rounds through it and no jams since. with remington high vel generic greenbox stuff. Honestly I like it a lil better than the 10/22s enough that i'm going to buy another one just for me. Rifle is a real tack driver, light, lively in your hands, and what caught me offguard the most is just how smooth the action is.. you don't *feel* a round feeding.. it goes into battery the same whether ammo is present or not. also like the last shot holdback, it's very simple and thus very reliable. gonna try it out with some other ammo including some aguila SSS to see if it cycles as well with other stuff.. at any rate i'd give the rifle a 7 out of 10.. only flaws i can give it are the trigger has a lil too much creep and is a bit too stiff *which i'm also gonna fix today*, the stock is kinda budget.. looks like it costed a quarter to produce.. still has the injection moulding fins. and lastly.. I think it should come from the factory with scope bases.. though it's no big deal as bases aren't very much for it.

anyhow that's my 2c.. if i've made any big typos please forgive me, i've been up for about 20 hours :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had one for over a year with no problems from either the plastic magazine or the metal magazine. I did find that it doesn't like standard or low velocity ammo.

You might check that the gun is clean. Also, if you remove the stock and look into the bottom of the receiver, you'll see 2 guide rods with springs. The bolt rides on these. Check to see that they are clean and lightly lubed. Also, I've heard of problems with the set screws being installed too tight. This will warp the rods and make the bolt bind when it cycles. Mine are no more than finger tight. I don't think it matters if they are too loose as they are captured by the stock anyway.

Best of luck and hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.