Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where to find the replacement part for my model 700 204?? The extractor on the bolt face broke in two pieces? And everywhere I look they are out of stock? Please help me get my son shooting again!! I think it is an easy fix if I just had the part!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,398 Posts
Welcome.
Please don't just dump posts in the general section, I moved this to gunsmithing for you.

Brownells has some badger ordnance parts in-stock.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
The part is the 'Extractor'. Remington's factory service is shut down but supposed to get back up and running soon. Try to find a list of factory authorized service centers (most were shut down before the bankruptcy). Just start calling. You need .222-size extractor and rivet. The good news is that most shops will do the job without the whole rifle.
The part is not easy to install, depending on the generation of the rifle. Some require a rivet and tools to install it. It is Remington's weak link in the design of the M700. (But a necessary part of the whole design).

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
The newer styles are rivetless, no doubt. Those parts were an outside vendor part and no doubt the supply chain is missing a few links until the bankruptcy is sorted out. Because that part is weak, most repair stations keep a good supply. I'll check with a local guy tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would really appreciate it!! I know it is a long shot but if you find one I will owe you huge!! Thanks for even taking the time to help!!

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Still looking. I've been invited to look through parts drawers which I'll do as soon as I get to town (this week, maybe).

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
I just went through the parts drawers of an active GS and an inactive GS and there is no new style extractor in either. The local shop has had extractors on order for more than a year with three M700s in the shop now needing one.
Somebody is sitting on a lot of parts. I'm sure the value of them depends on how scarce they are or will be so they're just hanging back and seeing how this will shake out eventually before putting them in stock.

·
Premium Member
15,466 Posts
Yikes!!! According to his pricing, my parts drawers look more like a safety deposit box!
I don't have a current parts list to see what size extractor he has for sale.
I must say, there is no other part on a Model 700 that would be harder to make!

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 13 of 13 Posts