Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been batting the idea of taking my father's old 700(7mag) and using the action to build a long range meat eating machine. Mainly out past 6-700yds. The optic will be a Vortex PST, stock will most likely be a McMillan A-TH, and have reached the choice of barrel with frustration. I have looked at Bartlein Barrels and have decided to deal with them from the numerous match shooters that have used them in the pas years. I was thinking stainless tube about 26 inches long and a twist between 1-8 and 1-10. I intend on using 168gr Berger VLD's and was wondering what you guys thought on the subject of twist rate.
Also, what would that average cost of truing an action and barrel installation cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Sounds like it would be a nice rifle. Last summer I bought my first Vortex scope and it won't be the last one, their nice scopes and I do like it. IMHO I would look at some other barrels just to compare the Bartlein with, I don't know that much about them but they do sound like nice barrels. The one I looked at was a 26" .284, 9 twist, finished 5R for $485.00. That kinda puts you up there with some of the others like Pac-Nor, Shilen, and Broughton 5C to name a few, all very good barrels. The truing/blueprinting I would think depend on the hourly machine rates, maybe even what part of the country your in and exactly what your having done, A guess ( just a guess ) would be anywhere from $250-$500. Bartlein's website shows a barrel installed for $270 but looks like a standard rifling not the 5R, they also showed truing the bolt face for $60, truing the receiver face $60, then show True Bolt Action Rifle Receiver and what that includes but call for pricing. McMillan stocks are very nice, some of the best and can't go wrong there. If you ever wanted to go heavier than the 168gr Berger I would think you would need at least a 1-9 twist maybe faster depending on which one you would use. Best to ya !

·
Registered
304 Posts
I told HART barrels in upstate N Y will furnish and install one of their barrels including truing
the action and chambering for something like $750. They are also an old and very good
company.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts