Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new 700 SPS SS yesterday. After installing the bolt and seeing how smooth it was, I noticed the bolt was losing a little bit of it's coating. The bolt has a fairly smooth action, nothing out of the ordinary, and it doesn't make any abnormal noises.

I've never owned anything but a blued barrel before, so I'm a little unsure of what to expect with the stainless. My blued guns get a little wearing, but it usually isn't before I ever even shoot the gun. Anywhere, here are some pics. Just let me know if I should be concerned.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I agree with Harry - if it's unshot, take it back for another. There will be wear on your bolt, even stainless. My Rem 700 in 22-250 has some wear marks, but NOT where yours is. That's happening during lock-up, so maybe there's a burred area in there. Take it back if you can. If not, find the area and work on it with some very fine wet/dry, maybe starting at 800 or 1000. I'm not a gunsmith, but that's just what I would do if I couldn;t return it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought it online and accepted the transfer, so I can't return it. I may try and contact Remington regarding it, though.

I took the bolt out and felt around with my finger, couldn't tell anything odd . . . Of course, it's possible it already rubbed it off and the bolt just took the pain. The action is very smooth now, so who knows.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,781 Posts
Contact Remington, send them the pictures. They'll stand behind it if there is anything wrong.

RJ

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
If Remington won;t, and you're pretty sure there isn;t anything inside, then I would tape off the rear end of the bolt and buff that one section on the buffing wheel, charged with green chromium oxide. Or.....just love it as it is! (:)D))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I picked it back up and tested it again . . . Sure enough, it's got a little squeak to it, so something is making contact somewhere.

If Remington is willing to work with me, I'm just hoping they'll replace the rifle and not send it off for service. I've had the gun for less than 24 hours, God forbid it be off at a dealer for 2 months.

Ugh, I'm frustrated!

·
Premium Member
7,587 Posts
I just looked at my SPS - owned and used for several years now - and it doesn't have that type of wear on it. However, when I first saw the pic, my initial reaction was...no concern. I'd pay attention to keeping that particular area clean and oiled, and use it. It will certainly wear in with use, likely with no adverse affects.

·
Inactive member
1,649 Posts
Where you are getting that rub is no big deal. NO, it should not be rubbing it's more than easliy enough to repair. The bolt handle is silver soldered on, it's possible they did not get it completely press down and has a thicker layer of silver solder. That tab could have been a little too thick. It can easily be buffed off and media blasted to get the original texture back.

You might be able to contact Remington and send the bolt to one of their repair centers and not have to send the whole rifle. Me, I would just buff/sand it down to get the rub out. Then if find a auto machine shop that shot peens rods and let them shot peen it, you will never be able to tell it happened. Sandblasting will give the wrong texture, but it could be used. If you decide to fix it yourself, Remington could tell you what media to use to get the matching finish.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,080 Posts
Put just a tad bit of grease on that spot and forget about it. A few marks from surface wear won't hurt a thing.

I really wouldn't give it a second thought if it were my rifle.

·
Banned
1,484 Posts
looks to me like there is a burr in the rear of the action or else the bolt handle is oversized...
i would polish the recess in the reciever where the boly handle enters it and then polish down the handle where it is galled then have it beadblasted and it will look fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.