Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,502 Posts
Does it have a hinged floor plate? If not it's just a plain ADL.

You can call Remington and give them the serial number and they will tell right away what you have. That's how I found out my beloved Sevumag started life as an ADL and was "converted" to a classic by the previous owner.

RJ

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

You can call Remington and give them the serial number and they will tell right away what you have. That's how I found out my beloved Sevumag started life as an ADL and was "converted" to a classic by the previous owner.

RJ
It does have the floor plate.

RJ
It does have the floor plate. Sorry for the double post. If it was converted it must have been done professionally. Maybe I’ll see if Remington is open tomorrow and give them a call.

·
11,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
There were no un-checkered wood stocked Model 700s, but the 'kit' rifle. There were plenty with pressed in 'waffle-iron' imitations that were reshaped and refinished.

Reactions: kdub

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
The Model 78 was blind box like the 700 ADL.
With a full sized picture, the overall 'look' could be seen. Close-ups are fine for details.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There were no un-checkered wood stocked Model 700s, but the 'kit' rifle. There were plenty with pressed in 'waffle-iron' imitations that were reshaped and refinished.
Thank you for the info, it does feel reshaped very narrow and stream-lined.

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
Guns are remodeled all the time. Replacement stocks can be made or bought for most commercial rifles. I can tell by the picture it has not be re-blued and the stock finish is well applied.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Your barrel 'date code' would indicate that it was made in May 1984. As you can see two things from RJ's Classics listing: 1) The Classic for 1984 was the 250-3000 Savage. 2) Classics were not produced in 270 Win.
It would seem that your rifle, with a floor plate, was a 700 BDL with the stock refinished, BTW...nice job of filling the grain!
I find it interesting/curious, looking over Remington's choices for consideration as 'Classic', that the 270 and 30-06 were not offered, while several of the offerings are, relatively speaking, more 'modern' developments.

P.S. BTW, a 1984 Model 700 BDL would have had machine cut checkering, the impressed checkering was discontinued earlier.

P.P.S. Just found this from 2014 on this forum, where reference is made to 270 Win. and 30-06 Classics, with some dispute on the subject and the same list as RJ provided above. So ???. See here: Remington Model 700 Classic 270 Winchester

Maybe there were two different 'series of 'Classics', early ones and then the ones that are marked 'Classic' on the barrel. Does your barrel have the word 'Classic on the barrel? Also see here, post #7 and on: Remington 700 Classics Questions

·
11,502 Posts

Two examples of Classic stocks, a real 700 Classic in 25-06 and a "clone" that's my Sevumag (ADL) in a Classic stock.

RJ

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
It's confusing having parallel threads.
The Model 700 "Classic" didn't have a cheekpiece or monte carlo, no plastic furniture and BDL bottom metal. The finish was more satin. The model was a direct response to the wildly successful Model 77 Ruger, which is much more classically designed.

Reactions: AU Gunsmithing

·
Registered
97 Posts
That catalog reference also noted that the Classic had no sights. I’m thinking its an ADL with an aftermarket stock and BDL bottom metal.

Are there any markings on the buttplate? As noted full pictures would be nice.

·
Premium Member
15,442 Posts
All this according to Lacy's book--- The Classic started in 1978 WITH sights in six calibers-- 22-250, 243, 6mm, 270, 30-06 and 7mm Mag. No cheekpiece, no monte carlo and no sights starting in '83. They did have sling studs. Standard calibers had a 5/8" no white line pad. Magnums had 1" pads.
A Classic stock can be told from a M700 at about 40 yards.

·
11,502 Posts
The butt plate should have "Remington" moulded into the red rubber. My 25-06 has had a new Decelerator recoil pad installed and been refinished with Tru-oil (it looks like), but nothing else. The Sevumag stock is as I bought it with some scars added by me. The checkering is cut, not pressed.

There are as many lists of 700 Classics and their funiture as there are actual 700 Classics and or Classic Deluxe(s) all claiming to be the "truth". The only way to really tell what you really have is call Remington.

RJ

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The butt plate should have "Remington" moulded into the red rubber. My 25-06 has had a new Decelerator recoil pad installed and been refinished with Tru-oil (it looks like), but nothing else. The Sevumag stock is as I bought it with some scars added by me. The checkering is cut, not pressed.

There are as many lists of 700 Classics and their funiture as there are actual 700 Classics and or Classic Deluxe(s) all claiming to be the "truth". The only way to really tell what you really have is call Remington.

RJ
that checkering sure stands out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts