Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone I posted this on another forum but figured I would try here as well,

Ive been pondering on a bolt gun project for several months now and ended up finding a deal on a 700 chambered for 223. I had some store credit I'd forgotten about and ended up with a very lightly used Remington 700 in 223 for $8.71 out of pocket. Its an ADL and nothing to write home about, but I intended to put an HS Precision stock on it, likely a Timney trigger, have it trued and eventually rebarrel it and chamber for 6mm TCU. For now though I have an issue that will become much worse when I rebarrel and rechamber. The issue is that the factory magazine box has a spacer in it that limits cartridge oal to 2.460 inches. Im loading Nosler 53 grain Varmagedon flat base at the moment and they are pretty long. I'm at 2.455 inches right now and they feed but barely. Surely there is a company or machine shop somewhere making a follower for the 223 cartridge rifles that removes the factory spacer and adds to available oal? If Im maxing things out on a 53 grain I can only imagine how much bullet is stuffed inside the cartridge for the guys slinging 80 grainers?!?! While its not presently a huge problem, when I go to the 6mm TCU it will become one. Sami spec for 6 TCU is 2.5 inches. As far as I understand it the spacer is .400 inches long so removing it and freeing up that space would put my possible oal somewhere in the 2.85 frame which should be ample plenty for the current chamber and sufficient for the TCU. Anyone know of a place to get a follower like this? I can't imagine this is an uncommon problem for the 222 mag, 204, and 223 70+ grainer guys.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks!
Josh

·
Premium Member
16,004 Posts
Remove the spacer and put in a .243 sized follower. The magazine opening in the receiver is 2.875 so there's plenty of room.
I'm ASSUMING M700 magazine openings (widths) are still the same between small and .308 sized calibers, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
243 follower

Would the 243 follower not be far too big? I would think the rounds would just pop out since the case of the 243 is bigger? Im certainly willing to give it a try though. I did misspeak earlier, I remic'd my rounds and they are 2.3655 at the moment, thats probably why they still feed.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Would the 243 follower not be far too big? I would think the rounds would just pop out since the case of the 243 is bigger? Im certainly willing to give it a try though. I did misspeak earlier, I remic'd my rounds and they are 2.3655 at the moment, thats probably why they still feed.

The spacer is held in place by two part of the magazine bend into the magazine. A 243 follower will not fit, that bend part is below top of magazine. I would get new magazine follower and spring since old one is too short. I'm not a gunsmith but one problem for me would be feeding new magazine as you going to push rd back to bolt face and push down.

You might want to look at something like this and I've never used them but mag give the length.
Remington (SA) 700 Detachable Mag Bottom Metal for AR15 .223/5.56 Mag - Stealth - Pacific Tool and Gauge

·
Premium Member
16,004 Posts
I'm still looking for my box of parts. I have a 222 Rem Mag box and follower somewhere. I make (or buy) an aluminum 'loading tray' for single shotting the actions because I have no need for a mag box and it sure complicates everything to have one.

Remingtons feed by ricocheting the bullet off the feed ramp. THAT bends bullets. It's better to lay a cartridge in an angled tray and the push of the bolt loads the round without touching the bullet to case relationship.
I can handle charging bull rock chucks with a single shot!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Some ADL have a solid bottom and others have a floorplate.

Changes will be different depending upon which one you have?

·
Premium Member
16,004 Posts
I've never seen an ADL with a floorplate. BDL does. The 721 and 722 had a sheet metal cover on the bottom but no floor plate. The 600 series was a plastic cover.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Old Roper:
I may not have explained this well. My current follower is perfectly adequate for loading SAMI spec (2.260) 223 Remington loads. It is however too short to allow loading of any cartridge longer than 2.40 inches and I am very close to that maximum right now with 53 grain Nosler Varmagedons loaded with the base of the bullet just past the case neck protruding slightly into the shoulder. Most load data for bullets of this length assumes a 2.260 OAL and has quite a bit of bullet sitting in the cartridge case protruding past the neck and far into the shoulder and body of the brass. For loading bullets so that they do not protrude past the neck of the case my follower is too short, but there is nothing wrong with it functionally. It is a design flaw on Remington's part would be the best way I know to explain it?

JBelk:
I have actually considered going to a single shot "tray" as well. This will be a hunting rifle though and I would prefer to have another round on hand just in case, but more importantly, I don't like to trek with one in the tube and loading a cartridge by hand with the excitement jitters that come from looking at a game animal before you, is a situation i would prefer to avoid as well. I have never seen an ADL with a floor plate either? My impression was that was the defining difference between the ADL and BDL?

HarrySS:
I have the solid floor plate. I suppose the rifle could be something different if other rifles come with a solid bottom but my impression was that in a 700 only the ADL had a solid bottom? It was actually labeled a SPS when I picked it up but with a solid bottom I was fairly certain that was incorrect and it was actually an ADL. There is not floor plate to speak of on the stock, the bottom is made of, well the stock. The magazine spring rests against the stock itself. Im hoping the HS Precision stock I intend to order has a slightly better way to manage the bottom of the magazine spring, than the current configuration from Remington, which is nothing.

·
Premium Member
16,004 Posts
Revolver--
The magazines in all rifles are designed to fit a SAAMI cartridge which has only one caliber of straight bullet outside the neck. (One caliber throat chambered.) There's nothing saying you can't take out the spacer and replace the magazine spring with one that sets the follower further to the rear. Experiment!!

The Remington follower is held in by the taper of the magazine box. It's VERY common to grind the locator wings to adjust how high the follower rides.

Pure Trivia--
In the million or so Remington documents made public in the Pollard case is a memo about the very first M721s delivered to marketing and sales. It had a miss-fit follower that didn't rise far enough to reliably feed the dummy cartridges. BUT, it was noted that without the follower touching the bottom of the bolt, the bolt would slide back by gravity and demonstrate how 'slick' the action was. They PATENTED that 'feature' and adjusted the shape of the follower to allow feeding without the follower touching the bolt in all 700 series ever since.

SO, if the follower is dragging, it needs adjustment but it needs to be as high as possible without dragging. (It could have changed, too. :) )

IMPORTANT POINT--- Bedding an ADL is tough if the box is too long or the stoce recess is too short or the follower spring tail gets under the lip of the magazine box or the center screw is overtightened. They're all sure-fire accuracy wreckers and rifles have been RUINED (by lapping lugs) when bedding was the problem all along.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
A 243 follower will not work, I've tried several from different years/styles, one cartridge will stay down, put another down and they both pop out.

Copied and pasted from a pm I sent recently.
I don't know if you would recall this but I bought a 223 from wally world a couple of years ago and had Douglas rebarrel it to 6x222mag, throated long for 115gr bullets, when the bullets are seated out to touch the lands the cartridges measure almost 2.800, that's the length of the magazine box without that little filler block that goes in when set up for 223.
I cut that block out of the back of the magazine box thinking that would allow the cartridges to go in and feed, not so, the short follower and spring with just that small amount of play see-saw all over the place in the box, cartridges don't stay down or even feed because of the lack of support below the now front heavy cartridge due to the extra bullet weight.
A 308 follower will allow one cartridge to stay down and feed but I'm curious what is in the box of a 222mag and the dimensions of the follower for that longer case.

This is a shout out to anyone that owns a Remington 700 in 222 magnum, what does your magazine box look like and what is the length of the follower? If it doesn't look like a 223 set up a picture would be great.
Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its just a standard 223 adl with a blind mag with screw tab and the magazine spacer at the back of the magazine. I sent a few emails to Wyatt outdoors hoping one of his magazines might work but he doesn't have one that fits 223 brass. Im presently thinking about trying to get a block of delrin and grinding out my own follower with my bench sander. Im not a huge fan of that option, but it is an option none the less. Id really prefer to have a nice milled steel or aluminum follower thats set up to fit the factory mag but it doesn't appear that one exists, at least not that I can find.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Mystery solved, not sure if this will make my 6x47 feed but I found a magazine spacer and follower specific to the 222 mag, I ordered it, be interesting to see if it works.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Revolver; check for Remington factory Parts online, and I think that they will get you what you need. At last go, they stock around 14 or so. But in your case they may try and sell you the steel box as well?? This is a phone #, and you will speak with a very knowledgeable tech. I had to order a different follower to use 300 Winnie Mags in a re-barreled 338 R.U.M. The Winnie Mags were crawling down, on one side of my RUM's magazine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kevinbear:
Where did you track that down? Everything I've found so far indicates that the 222 Mag uses the same follower and spacer as the 223, which as a side note is about the stupidest laziest bit of money saving crap I've seen in the past week. The max OAL on the case alone for 222 magnum is nearly that of the oal of loaded 223... I mean what the **** Remington? You already have the magazine box, you have the spring, literally all you need to make is the follower but instead you decide the 223 set up is good enough? This is why I didn't want a 700 in the beginning of all this, but even as much as I dislike Remington I can't argue with an 8 dollar rifle. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
16,004 Posts
But!! The 222Mag was made long before the .223. I think you're going to find them the same.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
But!! The 222Mag was made long before the .223. I think you're going to find them the same.
There's a picture of a part I've never seen called a "magazine spacer" and the follower has a different sku#, be interesting when I get them on Friday.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Kevinbear:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/896433/remington-magazine-spacer-remington-700-bdl-17-222-223-remington

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/852284/remington-magazine-box-remington-700-adl-short-action-for-17-222-223-remington-blue

The first item is the magazine spacer for the 223 BDL box magazine, its the same spacer but the ADL has it welded in place. The second is the complete blind mag with spacer in place you can see it at the back. Im very interested to see what you end up with. I managed to track down a 222 mag on gun broker that had pictures of the chamber and it too had a spacer at the back of the magazine as best I could tell. Definitely let us know what comes in the mail please!

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
Those the basic 223 parts, significant in that 222mag is not mentioned in the application.
It would seem logical that there are parts specific to the caliber, I have several 223's and a 222mag does not fit in the well with that spacer in place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Revolver, I've been shooting the 6mm TCU for a while, one of my faves. I also shoot it's brothers. However, bear in mind that the TCU's are wildcats and aren't SAAMI listed. The measurements given in the manuals that show them are from Wes Ugalde's designs and may differ by a few thou. Pulling from the dark recesses of my brain, Hornaday 8, Lee second list the 6mm TCU. Many books show the 7mm, if you notice, the shoulder and lower case are the same or should be. The neck is where things change.
If you haven't shot 6mm TCU before, you'll need to fireform your cases. 55gr bullets and the recommended start load of 4895 should suffice. You can use thes loads to get your scope on paper. Most experts recommend new brass, probably a good idea.
After that, you're off to the races. YOUR guns' chamber and magazine will determine your COL. You'll probably want to make a few dummy rounds to start. Follow good practices and keep notes. Work up your loads carefully. It's a nice round, good case life, good accuracy, and easy to load.
A final question, why a wildcat?
This from a guy who has a litter of them on his bench.
Good luck.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.