Shooters Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have a rem 700 in 6mm rem that I originally bought a number of years ago to potentially use the action for another project. The rifle looks in good shape over all so I pulled it out the other day snd decided to shoot it and see what it can do.
so I re sized some brass to reload for it and tried a few in the rifle, (just the brass, unloaded) and found that they were not extracting.... none of them..... tried the same brass in another 6mm rem I have and they cycled, extracted, and ejected fine.
so I’m thinking the headspace is out a lot or that maybe someone re chambered in 6mm AI.
Has anyone else had this experience with a remington 700?
how should I proceed
Thanks
Do you have a friend with a 700, try another bolt?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I have a rem 700 in 6mm rem that I originally bought a number of years ago to potentially use the action for another project. The rifle looks in good shape over all so I pulled it out the other day snd decided to shoot it and see what it can do.
so I re sized some brass to reload for it and tried a few in the rifle, (just the brass, unloaded) and found that they were not extracting.... none of them..... tried the same brass in another 6mm rem I have and they cycled, extracted, and ejected fine.
so I’m thinking the headspace is out a lot or that maybe someone re chambered in 6mm AI.
Has anyone else had this experience with a remington 700?
how should I proceed
Thanks
I would have a competent gunsmith look at it or look up bolt disassembly to see if it was something I would like to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I could try the bolt from my 700 varmint gun in 6mm but it’s going to a smith for a new barrel because I want a 6mm sporter weight for deer and coyotes. Now the question is stainless or steel? What’s your preference and why??

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,158 Posts
Now the question is stainless or steel? What’s your preference and why??
I have several of both. Personally I'm not particular either way, but do like a steel and black/super deep blue better.
For a time, I was hung-up on the nuance argument of "which wears longer". In the end, it just doesn't matter for any practical purpose; IMO.

$0.02

Cheers

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,808 Posts
Tape works fine, because you can measure the total length of the headspace gage with a basic dial caliper, both BEFORE, and AFTER, you put the tape on it ;)

The difference is how thick the tape layer(s) is/are. Easy. Now, the second part of the trick is to not be ham-fisted and force the bolt shut. FEEL the bolt handle going down. The lightest touch, of one fingertip, will be plenty if the mainspring and spring-loaded ejector (if it has one) are out.

Go and No-Go are usually .004" to 0.007" different, depending on the cartridge. FIELD is usually 0.010" (one hundredth of an inch) over GO.

The aluminum tape is a bit less compressible than other types, if you want to try to be a bit more exact. But having a soft touch is one of the most important things, and not everyone has. So know your limitations.

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
… they are once fired cases I got at a small gun show, and I full length sized them. And they worked fine in my 700 varmint rifle but not in this one.
OK, they fit whatever rifle once-fired them. It is possible that they came out a little under-length. Full-length sizing wouldn't lengthen them. A cartridge headspace gage would help you measure the case length.

www.midwayusa.com/product/1016251573 or
www.midwayusa.com/product/1012743827?pid=479704

It is possible that your rifle's chamber is just a little long, and the cases just a little short. It is also possible that your varmint rifle's chamber is on the short side so that they work ok there.

It's also been mentioned that you try factory ammo to see how that works in your chamber, and to compare its length to your once-fired cases.

A chamber cast would settle the question on whether the chamber is std or AI, but it's really tough to get headspace measurements that way.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Think I'd get a headspace gage if I wanted to know for sure. But it sounds pretty extreme. Casting the chamber CAN'T tell you headspace. Just the shape ahead of the bolt.
That depends on the person doing the casting. I understand you are convinced 'it can not be done'. The only time I have been able to share skills like casting the chamber is off line. It was worth the effort, I got a compliment.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A chamber cast would settle the question on whether the chamber is std or AI, but it's really tough to get headspace measurements that way.
That depends on 'who you are'. the last time I counted the reloaders with enough skill to case a chamber was two.

F. Guffey

·
36,808 Posts
So, explain exactly HOW you are going to measure the distance from the datum line on the shoulder of the casting, to the bolt face, when the bolt is not in the gun while the casting is being poured??????? You aren't.

Stop posting nonsense about 'measuring' headspace, without headspace gages. This is your last warning about that sort of crap and you WILL be banned, permanently, the next time you spout off.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So, explain exactly HOW you are going to measure the distance from the datum line on the shoulder of the casting, to the bolt face, when the bolt is not in the gun while the casting is being poured??????? You aren't.
"??????? You aren't"! I do not know how difficult and or easy it is to get 'likes', I would thing the person posting the 'like' is a fair and objective member. You claim it can not be done; I claim I have been doing it for over 20 years. I do not make excuses for not being able to do anything.

this thread started out with a head space problem and now it has turned into 3 pages with no answer. What ever it is you are doing is not working, I suggest you find someone to help, even if you despise the person that can help.

F. Guffey

·
36,808 Posts
The reason there is no answer is because the person who posted the thread did not buy a HEADSPACE GAGE, or if they did, they did not report the results.

I really don't have the slightest interest in your .... unorthodox methods .... and you aren't allowed to post them here, anyway. So drop it.

Pretty typical for forums, "diagnose my vague problem without ever having inspected the item at hand" and then if they don't get an immediate answer they like, they don't follow up by using the PROPER tools, and reporting the result. Then there is the invariable "thread drift" by people who post things that aren't relevant, or "clutter" contributed by those who didn't bother to read ALL the posts in the thread, and/or given answers to questions that weren't asked. Typical for any forum. That's why there are three pages, instead of the 2 or 3 posts that it would have taken to discover the problem in the first place.

Headspace is one of the EASIEST things to check, just need the PROPER tool. And those are cheap and easily available from numerous vendors. It's not like you have to buy a machine shop, to have one made. In fact it is quicker and EASIER to put a headspace gage in the chamber, than it is to make a chamber cast anyway. 5 minutes, tops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok, so here is the deal. I have used and own headspace gauges, but didn’t have what I needed for the 6mm remington on hand. I took it to a local gunsmith he verified the headspace was off in front of me, it closed on a no go gauge, weather it was chambered in AI or not was not determined because I had no real interest in buying AI dies. We discussed the possibility of setting the barrel back but bore was not well taken care of so I went the new barrel route.

·
36,808 Posts
Appreciate the follow up and glad you didn't touch off a round in that chamber - could have been exciting.

Case closed.....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I should have been more specific: a chamber cast would show the actual shoulder angle, which would indicate AI. It wouldn't properly measure headspace, which would properly require go / nogo headspace gages.

Reactions: shooter444 and kdub

·
36,808 Posts
See post #52 ;)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts