Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda stumbled on this site while looking for info on my Rem. 700 ML, .54cal. Yesterday I happened to be in a gun shop and asked what the trade-in value might be and if they would be interested in buying it outright. Well......I opened Pandora's box and was told what a huge failure Remington created and what a huge piece of crap the rifle was...yada..yada.. etc. I was shocked! I asked again if we were talking about the same rifle. Having been in black powder for years, building them, competition, repairing them, etc., etc. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. To make my point...I'll have to side with Remington. I've never had a miss-fire...never. It shoots like a "house 'a fire". I use Maxi balls and maintain consistent under 1" groups @ 100yrds all day long. I will say it doesn't shoot sabots all that good. It loves lead and either black powder or pyrodex. The only thing I changed is the nipple. I put in a musket cap nipple.....only because a friend gave me one. The breech plug has never leaked blowby gases and the bolt area always stays clean. Yes it kicks pretty stiff.......but what does one expect shooting a 450 grain slug with 110grs. of black powder.. :)....duh?
Maybe I was just lucky getting the one I got or....hey I don't know??

Anyway hope I didn't bore you all with my first post. Thanks for reading!

flinger44

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Well all the posts I have ever read on the Remington 700 muzzle loader have been very positive. People that I know that own the .50 calibers do shoot sabots. In your .54 I would suggest shooting some heavy bullets in the sabots, but then if it does shoot lead conical bullets that well, why change. Good luck with the rifle and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it shoots that good, I would keep it. However, if you would rather get rid of it I would try another gun shop. Everybody has their own opinion and/or misconceptions. I have noticed that by visiting several gun shops in the area.

good luck

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
One thing I will say for gun shop owners... they are out to make a profit. So if they can talk you out of quality rifle cheap, then turn around and sell it for a profit... they might tell you anything. The local gun shop I deal with refuses to take muzzleloaders in trade. He claims they sit on his shelf too long. That was why I picked up a brand new T/C Black Mountain Magnum for $150 off him. He was handling an estate sale and they had a muzzleloader to sell that had never been fired. When I saw it, I walked out of the store that same day with it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had a 50 cal Rem ML for years. It shoots everything I have stuffed into it. I use a Musket nipple also, though it has never misfired with the standard nipple.

Very good rifle.

Don

·
Registered
877 Posts
Remington 700 ML

I have two Remington 700's, the ML and the MLS. The standard nipple seems to work fine. I bought the Cabelas kit on advice of a friend, and tried the 209 primers - accuracy suffered. I am unfamiliar with the musket nipple. Advantages???

What loads do your rifles like? I am beginning to experimment.:eek:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A musket nipple will screw right in, no mods necessary. My 700 ML likes around 100 gr with any weight in a sabot.

Don

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I used to have a 700 ML Stainless in .54. It really shot great with 90 - 100 grains of 777, a sabot or lead conical, and a standard cap. When I switched to 209's the accuracy fell off. It didn't seem to like PowerBelts all that well either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts