Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been thinking of getting a varmint/paper gun for some time now. I came across a Rem 700 sps varmint at the local Dick's sporting goods for $499. I dont think it has an x mark trigger like the vtr series does but it does have the same stock and has a heavy barrel. My question is do I spend 500 on the sps varmint and then put another 150 in a good trigger or do I spend 750 on a vtr with a x mark trigger and triangular barrel with muzzlebreak?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The X-Mark is nice, but the older Remmy triggers are adjustable too. Also, I just gave my VTR away. The muzzle brake is useless, especially on the calibers that the VTR come in. The triangle barrel looks cool, and my 22-250 did shoot a sub 0.3" group, but the SPS would get you more velocity with the 26" barrel. The VTR only has 20" of usable barrel. I say go for the SPS.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I saw a picture of your gun in a post a while back. You literally gave it away?

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
If its an SPS it has the X Mark trigger. That model was the first to get it. I haven't played with one myself, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now thats a good brother! Iv narrowed my calibers down between the 204 ruger and the 22-250. I know you can get heavier grain bullets for the 250 which Iv heard will increase stability (as in not being as affected by a crosswind) but the 204 seems to have a tad bit more velocity. So im torn between the calibers...

·
6,248 Posts
I have and enjoy the .204, its in a Rem 700 ADL. Its accurate, its fast, its quieter than the .22-250, and has 1/3 the recoil. I know that the .22-250 doesn't have much recoil, but keeping the target in the scope is pretty sweet considering you are shooting 4000 FPS.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I own a VTR 308 and I have managed to shoot some seriously good groups with mine well under an inch(I have a thread about it on here if your interested to search) I have compared it against a 243 remington and it has none of the kick it does. Muzzle break is a tad annoying when your hunting as it lets off a **** of a bang, but if your good enough to kill on first shot no real dramas there. As a hunting and paper punching rifle I cant really complain at all.

If I was going straight paper puncher and I didnt have to lug the gun around I would probably get a longer barrel ie the SPS with a 24/26 inch barrel.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I know my VTR loved 52gr Matchkings with it's 1 in 14 twist barrel. If I were you, I'd go with the 22-250, but Matt might disagree with me. He likes the .204.

·
6,248 Posts
I just like the .204 more, the .22-250 is a good cartridge as well. ;)

·
Banned
199 Posts
I like the .204, great little cartridge. I thought I'd only use it for spotlighting but now it travels around in the ute with me at work and has killed a dozen pigs so far. (mostly headshooting them from the 4x4, not exactly sporting but they are feral pests...)

Seems like if you get a remington with the sps stock that shoots, you've got a good rifle, but if you don't they can be hard to improve. That stock is flexible and doesn't lend itself well to changing the bedding and free floating the barrel.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i can t imagine how that small a rnd can go strait at the velocities mentioned..i used to have a decent fast ball ,an no matter how i held it the thing would hop ,drop or rise..:)it would do everything but cross the strike zone..at least it kept the opposition worried..good luck ..slim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,462 Posts
I like the .204, great little cartridge. I thought I'd only use it for spotlighting but now it travels around in the ute with me at work and has killed a dozen pigs so far. (mostly headshooting them from the 4x4, not exactly sporting but they are feral pests...)

Seems like if you get a remington with the sps stock that shoots, you've got a good rifle, but if you don't they can be hard to improve. That stock is flexible and doesn't lend itself well to changing the bedding and free floating the barrel.
One of life's great joys - seeing a few pigs while driving around and shooting one of them out the window of the truck! :D :D :D

You never get them all though....

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 22-250 offers more factory loads than the 204 does. I dont hand load so Im leaning toward the 22-250 mainly because Ill have more ammo options.

·
Banned
543 Posts
The 22-250 is a good round. I have one in a Savage that I really like. I bought a SPS Varmint in 308 and it does have the X-mark trigger. It is pretty nice for a factory trigger.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Yes, the .204 has less recoil and noise, but I don;t think it can be loaded faster than the 22-250, at least not in any substantial way. If it can, I suppose I need new, updated (newer than 2008-2009) manuals.

Maybe take a look at the Remington 700 VSF. A tad more pricey, but is stainless, fluted, heavy barreled, and with a jeweled bolt and an X-mark pro trigger.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Iv looked at other models but for the price and the plans I have for a rifle like this $500 for a start isnt that bad. If I do get the gun I figure Ill eventually put a HS stock on it and maybe a better trigger. Im not sure how long the guns will be on sale so Im gonna have to make my mind up on the caliber soon.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The VSSF II that stretch mentioned comes with an HS stock factory, and a very nice adjustable trigger.

They look like mine, only where my webbing is gray, the varmint version is green.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats true Tang, but the VSSF II has about $1000 price tag. The sps is only $500. Iv seen HS stocks on ebay for about 200. The stainless barrel wont be any more accurate will it?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I can't say for sure, as I haven't messed with an SPS. My brother has the VSSF II in .220 Swift, and his best group at 100 yards was less than a 1/4". That was with handloads ofcourse, and a 40x scope.

You probably could get a VSSF take off stock for a couple hundred bucks and fit it to the SPS, and bed it. You might be on to a good idea there. I have to admit, I was lured in by the sexy stainless and flutes :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts