Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Dad and I just bought a VTR in .223. We plan to use it more for varmit shooting, but possibly some for silouhette varmit shoots. (max range maybe 400 yards?)

We're asking around for opinions on any
1.) Scope Bases and Rings
2.) What kind of scope to get? Variable or fixed?
...3.) Any special .223 hand loads you guys have made up, what's successful, what does work, what doesn't, etc. (and accuracy you're getting from them would probably be beneficial as well.)
4.) Anything else you can tell us to help us make the most out of this rifle. Thanks!

All responses are appreciated, but even if it doesn't help us PERSONALLY, it may catch someone else's attention and benefit them.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
1. Leupold
2. Leupold
3. Whatever is accurate in your gun... you'll have to play around to find a load that works well. My guns all seem to shoot Nosler bullets well. For high volume P-dog shooting, I'd get a box of Midsouth Shooter's Varmint Nitemare is the best deal around.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/varmintnightmare2.asp

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
I've also had very good service from Sightron glass. If you're going to shoot at small things at different distance up to pretty far away, get a scope with parallax adjustment you can set to your range.

For best accuracy, read Dan Newberry's site. Every gun is different and usually wants a different recipe, but the OCW loads are a fair compromise.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
1. Burris Tactical
2. Zeiss
3. Whatever is accurate out of your gun

Side note, I had a VTR in .22-250. Great shooting gun.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My VTR is in .308 w/ Leupold Turn-In front & rear bases, Burris 3-9x Ballistic-Plex scope & handloads featuring 150gr SSTs w/46gr IMR4064. 2 deer & 3 pigs last week. Love this combo - I've cranked-out 10 to 20 shot strings without much "wander" from point of aim out to 500yds or so....

Attachments

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
That's a really great picture, Dave. Excellent framing and I love the foreground/background you chose. Are those palmettos in the background? Florida deer, or are there palmettos in southern GA?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
One piece Leupold/Redfield base with medium height rings and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 scope ($263). The Bushnell 4200 is an good quality scope with excellent ratings and a great value at well under $300. #BUS423944M here: http://www.bearbasin.com/bushnell-rifle-scopes.htm

Lots of combinations will work for you and good luck with whichever you choose.:D

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
One piece Leupold/Redfield base with medium height rings and a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 scope ($263). The Bushnell 4200 is an good quality scope with excellent ratings and a great value at well under $300. #BUS423944M here: http://www.bearbasin.com/bushnell-rifle-scopes.htm

Lots of combinations will work for you and good luck with whichever you choose.:D

It is a varmint rifle, not a deer rifle. He needs much more than a 3-9 zoom range. Id say 6-18 at the very least. In all honesty, I had a 6-18x40 Bushnell Trophy that was used as a load test scope on the .22-250, 264, 7mm, 300, and 338, without ever a problem. It will run you a scoach over $200.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It is a varmint rifle, not a deer rifle. He needs much more than a 3-9 zoom range. Id say 6-18 at the very least. In all honesty, I had a 6-18x40 Bushnell Trophy that was used as a load test scope on the .22-250, 264, 7mm, 300, and 338, without ever a problem. It will run you a scoach over $200.
Sorry, but the 3-9 that my .223 wears does just fine for me. As they say, different strokes;)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well aren't you just a modern marvel. I don't care to admit, I'd have trouble reconizing a groundhog at 400 yards with just a 3-9. Guess not everyone has auto zooming hawk eyes. Throw that dirtpig in a grassy field, with the wind blowing and it gets a bit more troublesome.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Well aren't you just a modern marvel. I don't care to admit, I'd have trouble reconizing a groundhog at 400 yards with just a 3-9. Guess not everyone has auto zooming hawk eyes. Throw that dirtpig in a grassy field, with the wind blowing and it gets a bit more troublesome.
Thanks for your additional advice! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
At 9X, the GH would be the same as at 44.44 yards - less than 135 feet - with the naked eye. Even in my late 60's I can easily recognize a GH without glasses or scope at that distance. Now if he was only 12 inches away, I'd need my reading glasses! LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha thanks for all the great input, guys! it really is cool to go through and read all the different ideas about what you all think.

hmm. and i think we'll be leaning toward a higher zoom scope, probably in the 6-18x range (seems like a common one) :cool:

keep the good responses comin, and thanks once again!

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's a really great picture, Dave. Excellent framing and I love the foreground/background you chose. Are those palmettos in the background? Florida deer, or are there palmettos in southern GA?
Ossabaw Island, GA. Palmettos are up to 20+ ft in some areas....

One of his four girlfriends took the pic - they were watching from 10-15ft away as he was field-dressed!

I'm basically a meat-hunter with PIG as primary quarry - but when I get two free deer - I take them!

It was dry and hot - not much pig sign, but deer were everywhere!

ANYWAYS - I'm a fan of the VTR's "Triangle" bbl profile - lighter to carry, and keeps point-of-aim through extended strings when "the going gets rough"....

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
For target or varmint work at anything more than 200 yards, you might not "need" more than 9X but it will definitely be much appreciated for the finer work you can do with it. Seeing a sage rat at 45 yards with the naked eye, and hitting it with open sights, are two distinctly different things. Since the objective is not to simply observe something, but to consistently and accurately superimpose the crosshairs of the scope on the target, more magnification is better.

If you were big-game hunting, I'd suggest no more than 12X and I actually prefer a 2X-7X scope, for most of the deer hunting I do. For target and varmint, you're thinking right with the 6-18X.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts