Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found several threads but none with simple instructions......sorry if my newbness is being exposed!

There is a 1/16 allen screw in the front of the trigger assembly which should have some sealant on it. Clean that sealant off and out of the screw head so the allen wrench will seat properly. Turn counter-clockwise to lighten and clockwise to strengthen. Mine was very sensitive….about a ¼ turn for a ¼ pound.

Here’s a simple way I found to set the exact weight you want with stuff you may have at home. I had a postage scale so that helped but since we know water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon you can guess pretty darn close. 64 ounces of water would mean a 4.17 pound trigger pull.

I used a piece of wire, a one gallon milk jug with the top cut out, Elmer's glue, and several large glasses of water.

1. Remove the barrel from the stock
2. Make a 8” loop out of the wire and hang the jug by the handle
3. Hang the loop and jug from the trigger with the scope setting on the counter and gun pointing up.
4. Pour water in slowly until the trigger fires and weigh the water in the jug
5. Do this 3 times to make sure you get the same results roughly (+ or – 1/8 pound)
6. If you don't have a scale just pour the water back in an empty glass and repeat making sure each time the trigger fires with the same amount of water.
7. Back the screw out ¼ turn and repeat the process until you get it where you want it.
8. Put a drop of Elmer’s glue on the screw to lock it in place and turn the gun pointing down so the glue doesn’t seep in to the trigger assembly, let it dry.

If you don’t have a scale, at least keep track of exactly how much water it takes before you make an adjustment and then you can see how much it takes afterward and know for sure that you have reduced it by 8 ounces of water (for example) which weighs just over half a pound.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I would use nail polish to secure the screw so moisture won't affect it. Then, never, ever, send the rifle back to Rem as they'll charge you to reset the trigger! ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use nail polish to secure the screw so moisture won't affect it. Then, never, ever, send the rifle back to Rem as they'll charge you to reset the trigger! ;)
Yeah, nail polish would be a better idea!

·
The Shadow
7,888 Posts
Ya know, Blue loctite REALLY isn't expensive guys.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I completely removed the screw from the front of my trigger and it still leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was a hair over 4 and I brought it down to 3. I haven't shot it yet but it feels awesome.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Pretty good "simple-man's" way to measure trigger pull, Stone.

I'm another one for locktite or fingernail polish....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts