Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a difference in the size of the stock and the barrel is a little bit shorter. But how much shorter is the barrell and is the ballistics any different? I was into this 7mm-08 and was thinking about just getting a new stock for it. Is there any big difference is the youth vs the regular?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
The difference between the youth model and standard CDL is barrel length 20 vs 24". This would translate into an 80-100 FPS difference in velocity, not significant, IMHO. The Model Seven CDL in 7/08 comes with a 20" barrel. In synthetic stock, the Model Seven also has a 20" tube. Back when the Model Seven and 7/08 were new in the market, the barrel length was 18.5", I believe.

Bottom line, a new stock will be all you need, the performance of a 7/08 out of a 20" tube is not significantly affected by that slightly shorter tube. Good Hunting!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,699 Posts
If you need a short handy rifle then you are probably not in absolute need of the last foot-second. So I would agree that just fitting a shorter stock is as good of an option as any if you already have the gun or can find a good deal on one used.

Used to be of the mindset that a gun "had" to have a certain barrel length. Then discovered 1.) shorter barrels are a lot handier in a blind, and 2.) they killed just as well, anyway.

I cut down the stock on a short-action Rem 700 (6mm) for my wife. It has a 22" barrel and is darn handy. To my mind it's the same thing as a "youth" gun. Same thing with a mauser action and 22" barrel for a .250 Savage for my son.

In fact I like both of them enough that sometimes I hunt with them!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Then discovered 1.) shorter barrels are a lot handier in a blind,
Yup, very much so... even in just a tree stand that's open or in the woods. That was one thing I found I liked about my T/C Encore... no action means it basically chopped off 6" or so from the total length of the rifle. My 28" barrel on it is still shorter than my bolt action 24" barrel rifles (by about two inches).

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you buy a youth model 700 you will find full sized stocks much easier to find than youth stocks !

·
Inactive member
1,649 Posts
When I was doing the research on the Model 7, between the youth and the standard was the pull length. You are suppose to be able to take the butt plate/recoil pad off and install a one inch pad, it's the same length as the standard models

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have shortened the stock on my Colt Coltsman 30-06, FN Mauser, so it fits with all of the cold weather gear. Nothing like a having s stock that is too long when you need to shoot.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Remington 700 Youth model purchased about 8 years ago. Has a 12" length of pull and being that I have a short neck it fits me perfectly. starting about two years ago they are available from Rem in Youth/BIG KID sizes with spacers you can take out for shorter stock and replace them for longer stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts