Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone switched a barrel on a Remington 7400 from 30-06 to a .270? Both are long action. Does it require using a go no-go gauge?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Yes you would have to headspace it, I have to ask .........................why? A 7400 isn't a long range tack driver, this is one case where the 30-06 has a clear advantage due to bullet choice and diameter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have this rifle since mid 80's. It was in the safe for over 10 yrs. I finally decided to clean it and replace the scope at the same time. When I stripped apart the gun, I noticed there were some amount of pittings on the barrel right where the forearm is. You can't really see it from the outside. The rifling is still good. I must had around 200 rounds thru it. I figure if I can replace the barrel, then I want it to chamber a .270 caliber. I do have another Browning Abolt 06 anyway. The realy question is, "Is it worth to replace the barrel?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! This gun is no way as accurate as my Browning Abolt. That is the reason why it was neglected all this time. It was my first rifle. The walnut stock has some really nice grain to it. I guess I will give it to my brother. This will give me an excuse to purchase a new rifle. Maybe a short action another Browning in .243, something easier for my should.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts