Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
remington 742

Hey everyone,

Today I was talking to my plummer about hunting and guns. He said he was selling a Remington 742 with a scope, chambered in 30-06 for $250. Do you guys think this is a good buy?

·
Registered
620 Posts
The 742 has earned the nickname "jam-o-matic" in some circles. The ones that cycle reliably seem to keep doing so, the ones that dont cycle never will. Average buy if it cycles, $250 single shot paper weight if it doesnt.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I looked at Gunbroker.com http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=202330501#PIC

There were over ten of em, and the cheapest was 575....go grab it!!!

I don't know if I missed somthing. But I notice that your title says 750, and the thread says 742. I searched for a 750. A 742 should be about the same.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

That said, I looked, and they are going for about $300, and up. So, it makes a dif on the type of gun.

If it is a one owner gun, or other factor that makes it a better buy, go for it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
A 742 is junk compared to the 750. Externally they look the same, but internally they are night and day different.

The bolt rails, gasport, and other internals are different than the previous semis from Remington. I asked a remington customer service rep what their 750 could handle in the way of ammo, and they replied 'The 750 is rated for ANY and ALL factory ammo made". That means the same ammo that would tear apart a 7400 or 742 [Light Magnum, High energy, Superformance, etc.] is completely safe in the 750. It also leads me to believe that the 750 could handle slow burning powders commonly used in 30-06 and 270 handloads.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make sure the rails on the 742 are not galled, or that the bolt chatters otherwise you will be buying a single shot. The old adage if its to good to be true should always be applied. If its in good shape then he obviously does not know what he has...

good luck
GF

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
The 742 has earned the nickname "jam-o-matic" in some circles. The ones that cycle reliably seem to keep doing so, the ones that dont cycle never will. Average buy if it cycles, $250 single shot paper weight if it doesnt.
I've owned a number of 740, 742, 7400 and even now own a 750. I agree with this (above) and if he wants to sell it for that price, I'd buy/get a box of factory rounds and shoot no less than 10-15 before saying "I'll take it!" The scope may be less than junk. Any idea of what it is? There are lots of deer riding in pick-up trucks that met the driver because of Remington semi-auto rifles, trust me on that one.:D:D:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
....I think the general vibe you should be getting is to stay away from a 742 unless you like frustration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts