Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Remington 783, chambered in 308 approximately 6 years ago. I’ve had the same issue with the bolt multiple times. When shooting factory loads, essentially the extractor detent ball for lack of better terms “explodes” causing small amounts of powder like shrapnel to hit me and then it obviously won’t eject the spent cartridge. It’s been sent in for warranty multiple times for the same issue. My question is does anyone have leads on aftermarket bolts, better parts to rebuild the bolt head myself, or even OEM bolts? I’ve tried to look myself and haven’t come up with much of anything so I’m expanding and asking others, I appreciate any knowledge or info the community has.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
Nothing "explodes" and hits you with shrapnel, unless the case/primer isn't sealing the chamber. Which is it? Are you piercing primers, or having cases separate? Or both? Look at the fired shell casing and describe where it is black, instead of brass colored.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said it was for lack of better terms. I can put between 4 rounds and 15 rounds through it, feel what seems like a powder hit me slightly in the face after firing a round and know for a fact it will not extract the round that was just fired. I pull the bolt back and sure enough the round won’t eject. I take a long cleaning rod and barely tap it and the round comes out fine. I send it back to where Remington tells me and they replace the detent ball and send it back. The same process then starts over. I’ve sent it back to Remington 3 times for the same issue. I’m shooting Hornady 165gr SST Superformance

·
Premium Member
14,346 Posts
Where does the gas come from that blowing off the extractor? Is the center of the primer black? There has to be an 'energy agent' acting on the extractor. What is it? The answer is in the cases, not the bolt.
You can't post pictures yet but I'll post for you. email to j belk 09 at gmail but leave out the blanks. The closer up the better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The center of the primer is not black I do know that. I shot steel case, Tulammo through it the first time it happened. After I got it back I switched to only putting Hornady through it and it’s done it twice since then. I’m on shift for the next 2 days at the station so I’ll try and get pictures sent Thursday if not I’ll get them for sure to you Saturday.

·
Premium Member
14,346 Posts
With steel cases it makes sense gas leaked past the case and impacted the extractor. the fact its still doing it could point to gas cutting of the chamber wall. Send pics when you can.

As to your original question, No, Remington is the only source of those parts.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
I think Remington copied Savage on the extractor. My apologies if that isn't the case. If its what I'm thinking of, its a sliding extractor with a detent ball which has a spring under it.

Any gas leakage, which it sounds like you have, will compress the ball to the point it collapses the spring and won't allow the detent ball to contact the extractor. At that point the extractor will not grip the case and may actually fall out of the bolt. The instances I've seen in Savage rifles, the ejector plunger spring usually suffers the same fate from gas leakage.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,129 Posts
Right. But the root cause of the problem is not the extractor detent ball, or the spring. It is gas leaking back into the bolt. The gas needs to go out the FRONT of the barrel, not the BACK.....

Get some pics, of BRASS cases, after being fired and especially the ones that were in the chamber when the problem occurs. That will tell us if there is still gas leaking or not. And forget steel cased ammo, unless you are shooting an AK or something basically designed to run on trash ammo.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,319 Posts
The "783" is the Marlin XL7, post Cerberus/freedom buyout.

Yes Monty, they are the same style as the Savage, even same thread spec.
Numrich or Brownell's has had parts, when a federal case let go in my Marlin that's where I found them.

Something is very wrong if you continue to have cases come apart in that rifle....
If it's simply the extractor that continues to fail, it sounds like it got wallowed-out or flame-cut when it first let go.

MikeG is right that you shouldn't have anything coming backwards, especially the extractor. I've had a few case heads let go on Savage/Marlin rifles. You end up having to break the MIM extractor to open the bolt and get things apart.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts