Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a Remington 783 in .308 in the gun case in Walmart recently. I did not need it but the price as too good to be true at $325, so I bought it. I took it home, got rid of the scope it was wearing, I immediately took the action out of the stock, and cleaned the outside of the rifle, and scrubbed the inside of the barrel too. Then off to the range I went. I could not believe how good that rifle shot. The trigger is fully adjustable and I took it down to 3lbs. The rifle cut holes at 100 yards. The bolt is very smooth. It puts to shame some of my other rifles that cost 4 times more. If they had another one is a different caliber, I would buy it. Anyone else had this experience with at Remington 783?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have 3 Remington 783's. I agree that they are good rifles and are reasonably accurate. My first one ended up in a custom caliber and has been great. My second was a 450 BM. It is around a 1" gun, and for hunting in tight woods is awsome. I recently bought a 223. I have not shot any decent ammo through it yet, only surplus hard ball. It is shooting 1.5" with this ammo, so I am excited to see what it does with some better ammo.

Comparing 783's to Savage and Ruger at the same price point, I think 783's are better rifles.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,165 Posts
After Cerberus lumped them together the Marlin XL7 was discontinued, and it became marketed at the Remington 783.
They have floating bolt heads like the Savage, a barrel nut, and take the same thread spec barrels as a Savage small shank.

I've hada couple of the Marlins, and still have one. Re-barreled it a couple times, but it's currently a long action Creedmoor. Personally I really like the action, not so much the trigger. Light is nice, but it's got creep. I pulled the C-clips and did some polishing which helped, but needs a real trigger.

Glad you're enjoying yours!

Cheers

·
Registered
550 Posts
Darkker - I might have gotten lucky or Remington could have improved the trigger. Hard to say which is the case. I have (3) 783's, none of them have any creep. I can stand heavy trigger pull, but just do not like creep.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,165 Posts
I wouldn't doubt they did some form of changes, I'm about a breath away from buying a Timney for the 783. Will see if I can make the animal work 😁

I agree, I'll gladly take a silly heavy trigger, as long as it isn't creepy.

Cheers

Reactions: 375Carp

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't doubt they did some form of changes, I'm about a breath away from buying a Timney for the 783. Will see if I can make the animal work 😁

I agree, I'll gladly take a silly heavy trigger, as long as it isn't creepy.

Cheers
They have an adjustable trigger!

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,165 Posts
They have an adjustable trigger!
So does/did the XL7... Adjustability and quality aren't the same thing. My XL7's haven't been as creepy as most Savages, but regardless of weight is creepy.

Life is too short, to tolerate a crap trigger.

Cheers

Reactions: 375Carp
1 - 7 of 7 Posts