Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this gun and with factory 90 gr Ballistic Tips I can only get like 1 1/2 inch groups. I know this round can do bullet in bullet but I need to find a load and bullet combo that work for the gun. It is s 26 in stainless bull barrel. Anyone that has any information, please share. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
No reason for the electronic primer firing to impact accuracy, so look for loads (or develop them yourself) just like any other gun. Having said that, I recall that at least some of the reviews of the EtronX saying that a smooth squeeze of the trigger will not cause it to fire. The review(s) I recall said that a bit of a jerking motion was required to get it to fire, at least reliably. If that's the case, that fact alone may be the reason you're seeing larger groups than you want?

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I believe you can load up just about anything you want, so long as it has the goofy primers (the electric ones don't have an anvil).

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The Etronix guns are just Senderos with electric triggers. The barrel is a 26", with a muzzle diameter of 0.830", not a bull barrel at all, but enough about that.

I've never heard anything about the trigger pull like MZ5 mentioned. The one I fired was very easy to get along with, and shot cloverleafs with factory ammo. It was also a .243.

Those primers are VERY VERY expensive, like $169 per 1000 if I remember correctly, and that was before the price gouging on primers started. If you ever get tired of paying silly prices for ammo, you can switch it back to a regular rifle with a trigger and new bolt (havent tried it personally though).

As they said, try different ammo. What are you shooting from ? Bipod ? Sandbags ? Lead Sled ? What kind of scope ? Are the rings tight ?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have one in 22-250 and I can attest that you can just use standard reloading data. Mine will shoot factory loads into a 1-1 1/4 MOA and handloads 1/2-3/4 MOA. The rifling on mine has quite a bit of tool marks-I shoot moly bullets because of that. My gun likes the nose of the bullet .010 off the lands and a medium to heavy charge of Varget. Mine has had alot of bullets sent down the tube and the throat is showing some wear so I really cant complain. If you see that solid red light and pull the trigger IT WILL FIRE NO MATTER WHAT!!! That solid red means you have a complete circuit and the safety is off. There was an article that the auther said something about using his fingertip for best accuracy but I have never heard of one failing to fire. It is a very reliable and accurate system, Remington dropped the ball by using production barrels and pricing them way to high. Midway is the best source for primers and Remington has promised to keep them available. They can be converted to standard with a bolt/trigger change and a minor stock modification. I think you will be very happy with your gun once you figure out a good load.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate everyone's feedback so far. Basically you are all reaffirming my thoughts but I wanted to get some outside opinions. I do know that if I can not find a load that will cloverleaf the gun will be sold. I have no need for a gun in that calibur if it is not accurate. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
287 Posts
everybody I know(my self included)243 win is accurate round.I don't know much about the etronix.But you might have a crappy trigger or bedding problems.I'm a firm believer in the k.i.s.s method keep it simple stupid,less parts less to go wrong.If you can't get it to shoot up to your standards,then dump the rifle.I get sub moa groups out of my old 243 win model 670 with handloads easily.You just might have lemon

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
PM me if you decide to sell.
The advantage of the electronic ignition system is that the bullet has left the barrel in less time than a conventional firing pin can even strike the primer. I always felt that this would be ideal in a rifle shooting off the shoulder-a varmint gun is normally shot off of a rest making movement less of an issue.The only weak link on the Etronx is the factory barrel. Some are good some not so good, Before you get rid of it do some load developement, clean the barrel with a good copper remover and make sure the action is torqued to the stock. You can adjust the trigger down to a safe couple of oz if you want. I did use some bedding compound on mine, didn't see any accuracy improvement but receiver to bedding block fit wasn't perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some recent developments. Since I am not at home I am somewhat limited as to my reloading equipment but a friend has a set up that is working for the time being. I still had 4 boxes of factory ammo left. I bought a bullet remover and emptied a box. Then I went to the Sierra and Speer books and looked for a load. I also looked in the Hogdon's (I know I spelled it wrong, live with it) book and found a couple loads I liked and loaded 5 shots of each. The winner and the one that the rest of the boxes are loaded in is 48.0 grains of IMR 7828. And yes, I know its a compressed load but I am grouping a quarter inch. Its a **** of alot better than before and gives me a good starting point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts