Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the above referenced rifle. Have owned it for many years and before that, at an unknown date, my father bought it brand new. I have looked online on how to date the manufacture of the .22 rifle. I've noticed yhat certain letters of BLACKPOWDERX date the month and then the following letter gives the year.

I have a numbered serial number on the receiver and then letters on the left side of the barrel near the receiver.

Here is my problem: the letters on the barrel are as follows: J E (and yhe third is a symbol that almost looks like a Q or an R). Obviously the J (supposedly to date the month) isn't in BLACKPOWDERX.

So my question is how do I date this rifle? Does the fact that there's a J make it rare?

I'm new to this site and am going to try and post photos to show the letters and serial number.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Barrel codes are haphazard in the 22s and shotguns. By the serial # I'd say early 70s. Is the stock checkered? Sometimes they can be roughly dated by the pattern.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JBelk

J BELK. Thanks for the reply. Don't think the stock is checkered. The pump action has a little of what you COULD call checkering on it. This is the best pic I have on my phone of it. It's not within reach at the moment to snap more pics. Does this help you narrow it down? Is there a website I could use to give me an exact date. Bc the BLACKPOWDERX routine obviously doesn't apply to this rifle. Thanks again in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
That pattern started in 1975. E Q would be October 1978.
The real question is why is it a problem and why is it important?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That pattern started in 1975. E Q would be October 1978.
The real question is why is it a problem and why is it important?
I'm trying to date it. It's important to me. I'm just looking for some SINCERE help. I'm not trying to bother you or anyone else. And EQ is preceded by J. What does the J mean?? And the Q I'm not entirely sure IS a Q. It looks more like some type.of symbol. Sorry to bother you with this man. I am just hoping someone would be HAPPY and generous to give me some help. That's all.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
I'm pretty sure just about any of the old timers at the Remington Society knows more than this collective site about Remingtons.

Remington Dates of Manufacture

In most shooters, the date of manufacture is of curiosity more than need. I have two guns that were born within a week of me. Neither are as beat up as I am. :(

Here's another resource. http://oldguns.net/sn_php/remdates.php

Note:

" In some cases, only partial date codes were marked which will result in an invalid response.

The code letters were reused and may have one or more possible meanings. In some cases, you will have to decide which meaning is correct based on other details."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts