Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie to the forum, so apologies if asked before. Searched but didn't find this question:

Will a forend from a 760 30-06 also fit on a 760 270 of the same year? Realize there was a forend design change in latter years of the 760 run; ours is from the early years. We have a 270 with broken forend and see one on eBay, of the same design and pattern (5 diamond checkering), noted as from a 30-06.

Back story: Dad's CO gave him the 760 BDL 270 in 1958, for a job well done. It was a very prized possession at the time. In 1964, at the age of 4, I accidentally stepped on the forend and broke off the aft-starboard wing.

This past weekend, we found that rifle in my 90 year old dad's attic (where it has been for decades). He agreed to let me clean it up and replace the forend (if I can find a replacement). However, with a big grin he said that I must take him to the range to finish sighting it in once ready to fire again!

Outstanding! Now I need to find a forend for it! Any and all insight & guidance much appreciated.

Pics attached

Wood Textile Sleeve Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Textile Wood Sleeve Tints and shades Rectangle
Musical instrument Wood Guitar accessory Textile Twig

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Newbie to the forum, so apologies if asked before. Searched but didn't find this question:

Will a forend from a 760 30-06 also fit on a 760 270 of the same year? Realize there was a forend design change in latter years of the 760 run; ours is from the early years. We have a 270 with broken forend and see one on eBay, of the same design and pattern (5 diamond checkering), noted as from a 30-06.

Back story: Dad's CO gave him the 760 BDL 270 in 1958, for a job well done. It was a very prized possession at the time. In 1964, at the age of 4, I accidentally stepped on the forend and broke off the aft-starboard wing.

This past weekend, we found that rifle in my 90 year old dad's attic (where it has been for decades). He agreed to let me clean it up and replace the forend (if I can find a replacement). However, with a big grin he said that I must take him to the range to finish sighting it in once ready to fire again!

Outstanding! Now I need to find a forend for it! Any and all insight & guidance much appreciated.

Pics attached

View attachment 105662 View attachment 105663 View attachment 105664

What a beautiful piece of wood on that original. Too bad it had an "accident".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. One of those rare chances to right a very old 'wrong'. He'd cleaned it and left it laying on the floor in front of their dresser, before putting away in a standing glass-front cabinet we had back then. I never even saw it; just heard & felt the loud click as i ran across the room, as it went underfoot.

Appreciate the understanding and guidance! Regards.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,413 Posts
If you can't get that deal done, just as another option. Boyd's gunstocks builds them in several options.

Cheers

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,413 Posts
I wouldn't expect anything that custom from them, not really what they do. But if you want to be sure, give them a call instead. You're an hour ahead, so even after work you've got time.

Cheers

Reactions: JWSmith1959
1 - 9 of 9 Posts