Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
In Pennsylvana that rig is the standard mountian whitetail rifle (but in'06), our camp has 4 guns hunting with them. good rifles.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Well done

Very nice pictures of a pump rifle in a great caliber. Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
bigjershooter

I have a 1952 version 760 in 300 Savage caliber. It is a sweet shooting rifle with little recoil. I load it with 150gr speer grand slam bullets,and Imr-4064 powder. It groups great for a pump rifle. 1.5in to 1.75in accuracy at 100 yards. My grandson has taken a shine to it and shoot it well for his age(12 years old). It will be his first deer rifle when he turns 14. Enjoy that old classic as I do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have a 760 of the same age in 30-06. The buttstocks back then had too much drop at heel/comb to work well with scopes, so I fitted the rifle with a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. This rifle will group Speer 180 spitzers under an inch @ 100 yards. Back in the early '80s when I first started handloading for it, I fired a three shot group, prone with sling, at 175 yards than measured 1.75". These things will shoot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In PA they are called Amish machine guns. I have an ADL in .308. Mine's a 1 to 1 1/4 MOA gun. It's a shame that they are not more popular across the country, rather than just the N.E. The thin receiver, and the way they balance, makes them a pleasure to carry. Some might not be aware, that they have free floating barrels. For all practical purposes, being shot from typical hunting positions, rested over a log or sitting on the ground, they will group just as well as the $2000 custom bolt guns.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There was an Olympic shooter that used two 760s in 6mm and did pretty well. Fred Davis was his name. Years later these rifles were for sale in his gun shop. I still wish I had bought one.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My dad had an early 60s one in .35 Remington... killed lots of deer with it. It was stolen in the late 80s. He replaced it with another one in .35 Remington and killed lots of deer with that one, too. The first one had a 'fancy' stock and the second had the stock like in your picture. It's now mine and sitting in a gun safe about 20' from me. I need to take it out into the woods again. It's been a while.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Some guys call your forend the corncob style. But it does not look like a corncob to me.

Remington slide action rifles are keepers!

TR

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I have had 4 760s .I have wanted a basket weave one talking stock and forearm .I look for them on gunbroker .I don't think the ones I have had showed 1moa potential .I still always want another though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think I have had 4 760s .I have wanted a basket weave one talking stock and forearm .I look for them on gunbroker .I don't think the ones I have had showed 1moa potential .I still always want another though.
The one I have responded well to fire lapping using a kit from Brownells.

I load mine with 150 gr Barnes TSX and Varget. It is the best shooting combination I have from mine. I've tried about 10 different bullets and 4 different powders. A few are close to the Barnes, but never quite as good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased one recently. It’s in 30.06 and is the same year as yours, I believe. However, mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope. Was yours done by the factory? I’d love to mount a scope on mine but I’d hate to destroy the originality of it

·
Registered
662 Posts
I just purchased one recently. It’s in 30.06 and is the same year as yours, I believe. However, mine is not drilled and tapped for a scope. Was yours done by the factory? I’d love to mount a scope on mine but I’d hate to destroy the originality of it
I wouldn't be afraid of letting a competent gunsmith drill 4 holes in the top of the receiver. Unless your version is some super special one I wouldn't be concerned. The value in the older ones is in their utility. They made a zillion of them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts