Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On March 31st, I decided to shoot the Remington Genesis. I wanted to burn off some pellets I had around the house and to try some new loads in the rifle. This Genesis normally shoots pellets extremely well. Today was no exception

I started off with a clean barrel and dropped down two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets. I was interested to see how the rifle shot a heavier then normal bullet. I usually shoot a 200 grain or 250 grain. But I got a deal on some 300 grain Hornady SST with a supplied black sabot.

Why the rifle threw two high like that I am not sure. I can understand the first, being a clean barrel. I was swabbing between shots. But as I remember all of them loaded about the same. Very tight and slid down the bore kind of hard. But I was pleased with the accuracy.

I then got some Simple Green and swabbed the barrel clean. I made sure it was dry and ready to go. I then loaded 120 grains of Goex 2f and the same 300 grain Hornady SST. I kind of guessed this would be a max load for the rifle.

I never kept track of the shots other then the first hit. I was having too much fun. In that new box of Hornady SST's it said there were 20 projectiles and sabots. I shot six at the other target. And there are four left in the box. So this is a ten shot group. Every time I shot I could see the hole get a little bigger. And the smoke from 120 grains of Goex is really something when it covers the back yard. It was a lot of fun, and the rifle did real well with the big charge.

I was then guessing that clean up was going to be a chore. Well it was not. There was no blow back from the breech plug, nothing on the belly of the scope. And I took one saturated Windex patch and swabbed the bore.

I was shocked the bore was that clean with one patch. It made me wonder if this Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner really is working. I mean, black powder scares people because of the fouling and mess. Well I did not find that to be true at all. And outside shooting black powder the smoke and stink is really a lot of fun. Maybe, real black powder is not all that bad to clean up with.

Over all the rifle did great. It had a great scope. And the weather conditions were almost perfect. It was windy, but sunny and warm. I can not wait to try this load at 100+ distances.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Howdy!

I've been kicked enough around by my 12 gauge slug gun. The recoil seems truly unpleasant to me. I recently discovered that muzzle-loaders are OK for the shotgun-only area I hunt. My USAF buddy and I hunt in eastern Pennsylvania about 45 miles north of Philly urban sprawl.

I fired an Omega 50 cal. at the gun club. A member kindly let me try it. Recoil seemed about same as a 20 gauge. But each firearm is different in terms of stock design, weight, etc.

My question is related to recoil. How does this Genesis compare to the Omega? Is a reduced load lethal at 75 yards?

My goal is to acheive reasonable balance between accurasy, lethal power, and minimal recoil. Perhaps a 45 caliber would suit me best but I have never owned a muzzle-loader and my research has been limited.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

TR

·
Inactive
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not shoot an Omega but I hear their recoil when loaded hot can be stiff. The Genesis is the same thing as the Tradition's Yukon. Except my Genesis has a stainless steel barrel and a fancy stock. When I was shooting 120 grains of Black Powder which is a good strong load.. enough for a large bear, moose, elk, you name it... I did not think the recoil was all that bad.

To reduce recoil you need to have a rifle that fits you. You want less kick, go to a lighter bullet, less powder, or a heavier rifle. This rifle shoots a 200 grain Shockwave or the 250 grain Barnes MZ expander with two pyrodex pellets with amazing accuracy. And for recoil its not much. But then I am a very large person.

I have a couple .45 calibers and personally I would not go to that caliber. I like the .50 caliber much more. And out to 75 yards... white tail.. I could have been shooting that same projectile and 80 grains of powder and been more then powerful enough to gun down a deer. With 80-90 (I forget) grains of Pyrodex and a .54 caliber roundball, I once shot a deer at 80 yards... the ball passed through it, and broke the back of a second deer behind it. I had tags to cover my mistake thank goodness, but that kind of tells you... these things have power.

I was shooting a Renegade with a .50 caliber Green Mountain LRH barrel on it the other day. The barrel has a 1-28 twist for shooting sabots.

I was shooting at 75 yards and accuracy wise it was doing well. Especially after I figured out my bench rest position was all wrong.

1-4 shots were from a much lower seat and had me leaning forward too much. I went back to the old style and chair and 5-10 resulted. 90 grains of Goex 3f and that 300 grain Gold Dot would take anything you want to hunt in North America. Recoil was not much, BUT the Renegade weighs 9 pounds with a scope on it. Also it fits me real nice. But I shot over 25 rounds that day with no discomfort to myself. And I would shoot out to 150 yards in a heartbeat with that rifle and load and know that I would probably shoot through a deer with it.

As for muzzleloader power...

That is 1/2 plate steel. I made my first bullet trap out of it, thinking.. bullet hits steel. Steels on an angle. The bullet deflects into sand pit. I later collect bullets to make more bullets. I just never figured on the muzzleloader blow holes through that after a while. It was able to pound holes through that steel. According to a friend of mine, a welder (whether he is right... who knows) he said the pounding of that powerful bullet and changing of temps during the year probably stressed the steel plate enough that I was finally able to punch through. So now my bullet trap is 3/4 inch steel plate. It is stopping the bullets finally.

I used to live in a shotgun only area. Muzzle loaders were legal there also. My friends thought I was crazy hunting with a .54 caliber T/C Renegade shooting roundball. But I got my deer every year there. And that simple roundball with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS knocked them flat. Never had a problem recovering a deer down in the southern end of the State.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.